Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paramo
  • tomhowitt
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a winter jacket/ smock for cycling and have narrowed it down to the quito, velez adventure light or pasco which is heavier.

Think the pasco maybe hardwearing but also a bit warmer which could be a problem as i run hot.

Thinking of using it for spring winter and autumn.

Wondering if people have any experience with any of these?

tonyd

I’ve got an older Velez, the non adventure one so the hood detaches. I also run hot and this is way too hot for me to wear riding in all but the coldest weather. Went for a walk in the cold/wind/rain yesterday wearing it with just a t-shirt underneath.

Great kit though.

ampthill

Older velez adventure smock here

I love it as a general knock about jacket. I wear it loads on and off the bike. I don’t run as hot as i did so get on OK with it. Its very comfortable and I love it

But it hasn’t been conistently water proof despite my best efforts

But I’d be lost without it

Cougar

Wondering if people have any experience with any of these?

It’d seem that you do, you’ve been asking practically the same question across the Internet for two years and you claim to have bought one six months ago.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/paramo-aspira-smock-vs-adventure/-adventure-light-smock/51119.html

Are you a serial jacket-buyer, or astroturfing?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ha! Bloomin’ eck Coogs – that was well spotted 😉

Cougar

To be fair I’m leaning towards Coat ADHD, seeing as he does have “mountain biking” listed as an interest on his Facebook profile. So he gets to live. For now.

Hi Tom. (-:

bobbyspangles

there are some oddbods

tomhowitt
    Free Member

Sorry i should have posed the question differently.
    I have had velez adventure light for six months as Cougar point out and it has been fantastic. I have only used it for hill walking though. So have some experience of it as a walking jacket but was looking for experience using it on the bike.
    Seeing as the quito jacket is designed for cycling would it have better ventilation compare to the velez on a bike?
    Also i feel that the paramo light fabric feels very flimsy so was wondering if the heavier one would be a better option.
    i am just curious and thought posting on a biking forum would get specific feedback from use on the bike rather than general hill walking use.

Scapegoat

I’ve got a standard Velez, great for cold weather, but you need to open the side zips and roll up the sleeves as it runs hot. I also have a Vista, which is the commuter style cycling specific jacket in the Analogy Waterproof. That too is warm, but great for winter commuting. It has front chest pockets which can be left unzipped, and the full length front zip is two-way with strong poppers so you ride with it unzipped but poppered.
    You definitely need a decent wicking undershirt with both of them, or wear the velez next to the skin in autumn.

My favourite chuck in the pack Paramo jacket is the Fuera wind proof. You can make it showerproof with TX Direct DWR, and coupled with a decent wicking base layer is a good cool weather hard riding combination. In August I wore it for two hours of torrential, biblical downpour at Mabie, and although the water eventually got through it, the layered combination kept me warm and reasonably comfortable. In those conditions I doubt anything would have stayed dry.

Scapegoat

The adventure light fabric on the Vista is the shiny lightweight stuff. I don’t think it breathes as well as the thicker heavier Velez Analogy fabric.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Does anyone have any experience of using a product that I own when cycling?”

Bizarre…why not just try cycling in it?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Had the Quito for a couple of years now, great bit of kit for Autumn/Winter lakes riding. Yes it can get warm but I found if I use the right base layer underneath it’s not a problem. In cold conditions I put on a baa baa merino wool on first, or if it’s really cold another merino tee on as well. When it’s warmer I change the merino to a man made Helly Hanson dry. By layering up like this I find the Quito works really well.

My favourite chuck in the pack Paramo jacket is the Fuera wind proof. You can make it showerproof with TX Direct DWR, and coupled with a decent wicking base layer is a good cool weather hard riding combination. In August I wore it for two hours of torrential, biblical downpour at Mabie, and although the water eventually got through it, the layered combination kept me warm and reasonably comfortable. In those conditions I doubt anything would have stayed dry.

+1 my favourite go to jacket. Managed to get a couple from go outdoors when they were on special offer. Only paid a bargaintastic £25 each for them. A great bit of kit.

aa
    Free Member

I’ve a velez adventure which is a great jacket but, for me, far too warm to use oj the bike, unless is snowing and im on the ss.

2nd the fuera, its a really good top but i did find it a little odd fitting. It was a bit too wide for its length.

BadlyWiredDog

I use a full-weight Velez Smock in deep winter – i.e sub-zero conditions – for me it’s way too warm the rest of the year, but ymmv. The Fuera is cut like a sack imo. A lot of Paramo stuff is tailored for people who are either fat or shaped like Squarepants Spongebob. Then again, that seems to be a popular STW body shape 🙂

househusband

BadlyWiredDog Is pretty spot-on with the tailoring! Paradoxically the trousers were at one time the polar opposite; the newer Maui II trousers are great.

I’ve got the older Velez with detachable hood and Casacada trousers amongst other items and can only concur that they are way too hot for cycling. Might actually think about selling them as they don’t get used; would happily replace the Velez with the lighterweight version with the proceeds… food for thought.

I’ve been mightily impressed with the Explorer reversible pull-on that I bought a couple of months ago – has been ideal for cycling in cold, drier weather.

The Fuera windproof is a good bit of kit; I’d happily cycle with the Explorer and Fuera for when it gets wet – probably a more flexible combination than the Velez in which you may well boil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paramo’ is closed to new replies.