Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Paralympics – you go girl
  • luket

So I find myself in Sochi airport on the way home from the Paralympics and, since she’s been linked to on here a few times (captain flash on his fine sporting photography threads) I thought a little shout for my amazing sister, Anna Turney, might be in order.

Her fight for a Paralympic medal has not got her there yet but she has one more chance and it’ll be on channel 4 tomorrow morning. She’s running about 6:30am uk time I believe. And then again a couple of hours later.

So far she has:
    – crashed in a possible medal position in the DH after being fastest in practice in a time which would’ve got a medal.
    – come 4th and 6th in Super G and slalom
    – crashed in the Super Combined in what turns out to have been a sure medal position even with a slow time, but being the way she is only one speed will do – all out.

The team as a whole has done very well indeed. Jade with multiple medals from some ballsy racing but by no means the only one. Kelly got us a turn of the national anthem and the boys put in some fine performances especially Ben and James on debut.

Sport can be cruel but it’s not over yet. So if you’re up early on a Sunday and you want to shout on a girl with nerves of steel and a penchant for taking some frankly bananas risks then please let’s hear it.

It’s been emotional.

Gambate Anna

njee20
    Free Member

**does some quick Googling**

Chapeau, go her!

matt_outandabout

I have really enjoyed the (little) Paralympics that has been broadcast. Really ‘at the edge’ stuff fir so many competitors.

Go Anna…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for Anna on Sunday.

roverpig

Go on Anna, give it some beans.

eskay

Fingers crossed for her!

Did anyone see the paralympic ice hockey? That was pretty full on!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s been emotional.

I get teary just watching the events on TV.

Good luck Anna!

ontor
    Free Member

Go go Anna!

iolo
    Free Member

There hasn’t been enough recognition for tthe paraolympians by this country’s media.
    I have nothing but respect for them. In the news there might be “and in sochi today we got another medal” and that’s it. Able bodied fit snowboarding girls days of “didn’t you do well to get a bronze”.
    Why the discrimination with paraolympians?
    Who knows.
    I wish your sister the best.

iain1775
    Free Member

Go Anna!

I’ve been enjoying the winter Paralympics even more I did than the able bodied Olympics, the skills, courage and technology on display is awesome

cdaimers

Good luck to all athletes, you are a proper inspiration to even able bodied people.

I found the 2012 Paralympics and the 2014 winter Paralympics full of far better stories of the athletes succeeding or participating in the face of adversity. The feature last weekend on channel 4 featuring the help for heroes sending injured guys out to Sochi to experience the games so they can train for the next games truly inspiring.

They also seem to have all the tech, those sitting skis look amazing.

Good luck to all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is she…only kidding.

Best of luck.

mt
    Free Member

Have been watching as much as possible, found some of the competitors (from all countries) brave, inspirational, and bloody bonkers. Really impressed with the Brits and love to see them doing as well as they can.
    Never sit to watch it without a box of mansize hankies.

edit spelling

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anna is indeed all of teh orsumz! Top girl, and a real inspiration. Scary fast her ski as well! Have been lucky enough to meet her when she’s been out in Serre Che training. Always looking for a way to go faster, jump more and always, always smiling.

Nice purple ano on her chair these days, too.

Clover

Thanks for the heads up.
    Go Anna!

luket

She should be on now but they’re delayed for high wind. I can’t handle this!

jruk
    Free Member

Anna, Anna, Anna!!!

luket

Aargh!

Looks like a tough final day all round for GB then. But the final day nonetheless of an amazing games for the team if frustrating for Anna. She will have been going for it and I imagine she’ll try to lay down a time in her final run. Anything can happen and Millie certainly has a chance.

To see what’s possible on a sit ski, by one of the stand out racers in sochi:
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjUUf_sK84[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Paralympics – you go girl’ is closed to new replies.