Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist
  • arrpee
    Free Member

Anyone seen this? Tempted to catch it, but the reviews have been a bit variable.

I’ve read Matt Rendell’s book, “The Death of Marco Pantani” and enjoyed it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s good, you get a view from his Family and the Tifosi the normal back story stuff, and the nature of the man himself and his rise/fall.

Worth a punt if you have a spare couple of hours..

globalti
    Free Member

Is it on at cinemas?

atlaz
    Free Member

I doubt it’ll give more than the book about him but should be an interesting watch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, but it’s not a huge exposee that the book might have been in its day.

atlaz
    Free Member

I still find the reverence some people (I’m looking at you Rapha) have for Pantani is a bit odd. He’s interesting as a flawed individual but was part of the problem in cycling and it ended up costing him his life.

tomhoward

Not seen it yet, it’s on at selected cinemas, but comes out on DVD at the end of the month.

mrhoppy

Ticket booked for the Friday week showing in Shrewsbury. Yay.

mrhoppy

Double post.

bikebouy
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    He’s interesting as a flawed individual but was part of the problem in cycling and it ended up costing him his life.

That’s it in a nutshell right there.

That’s why Rapha et all (me included) see him as a passionate and yet tortured ultimately pressured Guy on a bike.

hjghg5
    Free Member

We’re going to the Thursday Rouleur event/showing in Leeds. I’m relatively new to watching pro cycling so don’t know a huge amount about him.

hora
    Free Member

Agree with the above. How many good guys quit because they couldn’t keep up with the pace or refused to cheat?

Junkyard
    Free Member

a flawed individual but was part of the problem in cycling and it ended up costing him his life.

Not sure what you mean here tbh ?

At the time ever single winning rider had the same flaws yet only he ended up dead

A very gifted rider who was ruined by the system as well as being a willing participant in the system

cynic-al
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Not sure what you mean here tbh ?
    At the time ever single winning rider had the same flaws yet only he ended up dead

[/u]

That’s the difference.

atlaz
    Free Member

What I mean is that his mental problems plus the way being caught in a positive test as the sands shifted ended up killing him

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup he did all of that plus..

Proper..

Coke n Hookers 😉

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard he didn’t have to cheat. Cold but true. Ironic that when some historic tests were revealled of the TDF one of the names that was clean was Boardman. If everyone was clean in 1998 would Boardman have worn the yellow jersey more times that year?

Who won that year? Pantani.

Of the top ten riders to finish the 1998 Tour, eight were later accused or convicted of doping.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hora welcome to to the view we have all had since last century…glad you are finally over LA.
    I decline to discuss drugs in sports with you as you are like an ex smoker now in your verve and righteousness despite defending LA right up to LA saying he cheated.

What I mean is that his mental problems plus the way being caught in a positive test as the sands shifted ended up killing him

Ta for the answer.
    He never actually tested positive but we are into LA type answers here 😉

I always thought it was they way he was treated that caused the depression rather than a fundamental flaw in him.
    I accept the alternative is credible as well and he did not cope well with “retiring”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Someone in the film said “I looked into his eyes and saw a 16 year old” (not a priest BTW 😛 ) – I think you have a point JY re the set-up but he seemed a weaker personality than his peers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Either way its a shame so lets leave it at that
    i shall go watch it with my brother…but for sport we would not be able to speak to each other

atlaz
    Free Member

He never actually tested positive but we are into LA type answers here

Well he was popped for a > 50% test and put on trial for blood doping. He was acquitted as it wasn’t a crime but being dragged into the courts was as good as being convicted for him. Conconi being shown to have given EPO to Pantani and alleged involvement in the whole Fuentes mess don’t really help. But yeah, I think everyone knows he doped, proof… meh.

mrhoppy

Is it wrong I really enjoyed it but for the repeated shot of the spinning wheel which was ultegra but he rode campagnolo record.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Just ordered the DVD from that South American river.

The Death of Marco Pantani was the first cycling book I read and I absolutely loved it, certainly in my top 3 best cycling books.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I don’t think that paying over hard earned cash for anything associated with the stars of the doping era is the way forward,

Rapha etc should be doing the stories of the clean riders who wouldn’t dope and either raced at the lower end of the sport or packed it in

telling the stories of the dopers is just giving them more publicity

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist’ is closed to new replies.