Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Panorama programe last night, abot carers of older people.
  • cinnamon_girl

TJ – I do agree, we have to increase taxes. I think it is morally wrong that care is farmed out to private companies. It is not a commodity. We are talking of people who have served their country, suffered atrocities and now indignity. The state must relinquish control.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

TJ, so I get to pay *up to* 40p of every pound I earn in tax, I then have to pay a further 15% of that pound when I spend it (which is really 70p-15%=59.5p).
    Another £30 is no problem, why not another 10% of my earnings?
    I have no idea why people who earn real money technically live off shore 🙁

Sorry, not really aimed at you, I know someone has to pay for the care, but just how much taxation can we take?

cinnamon_girl

Better housekeeping, better Government.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

project – people are having care at home because it’s the overarching philosophy behind community care! The thinking is that where possible, people should be given the opportunity to live at home for as long as possible. This will often involve a number of daily visits by carers and, increasingly, the use of telecare technology. The vast majority of people would prefer to remain at home rather than enter a care home, probably due in part to reasons mentioned in this thread but also to maintain their independence etc. Yes, care at home is cheaper but where it meets people’s needs it’s better than admitting people to a care home. Only when people’s needs can not be met at home (TJ summarised the costs of equivalent care at home well) will they be assessed as requiring a nursing or residential care home.

And regarding the funding of homecare – this will differ slightly on where you live but the majority of the cost is met by the local authority. A financial assessment will clarify what the recepient should pay towards it – the local authority I work for has a maximum charge of £40 per week regardless of the number of hours of care received, or it’s cost, and regardless of the person’s savings, income or the type of house they live in. So, even if you’re absolutely minted and have a care package costing the local authority £300 per week you’d still only pay £40 a week for it. The majority of people I have worked with pay far less than the maximum charge. Charges rise incrementally up to the maximum. Additionally, in Scotland, those aged over 65 receive all their personal care free.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Panorama programe last night, abot carers of older people.’ is closed to new replies.