Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Panniers for Cummuting
  • pcb
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ after some advice as to what pannier I should get for commuting to work.

I’ve just changed jobs and now have a 17 mile each way commute. I will have to take a 17″ laptop, lunch, shirt and boxers. Everything else will be at work.

Obviously it will be to be very water resistant and hard wearing.

I’m not sure whether to go for a cheaper pannier and use dry bags and a rain cover or go for a super expensive Ortlieb one.

Also hardly any shops seem to have a decent selection so I cant even look at them.

Help please…………..

PCB

teethgrinder

Misread title…put dick in it.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Does ‘cummuting’ involve sticky white love piss.

honeybadgerx

I think the OP might be sick of their bags emptying uncontrollably

STATO
    Free Member

If your riding 17 miles each way will you actually have time to use the laptop at home!?!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beer/screen interface.

pcb
    Free Member

Balls………….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

pcb – Member
    Balls………….

Stop it! Please! Stop it!

😆

jamiep
    Free Member

As well as tending not to be waterproof, cheap panniers have cheap fixings. Ortlieb – Spa Cycles when I bought them, £90ish a pair

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I’ve been using Altura Aran panniers to carry stuff including laptop/shirts/kecks etc for the past 2 and half years with no issues.
    Never had any issues with water getting in.

I also used them a few times for touring including a very wet 3 days in Scotland -again no issues with water.

Apparently there are better ones -Ortlieb come very highly recommended.

takisawa2

Will they actually take a 17″ laptop (presumably in a laptop case)…
    My Dell Precision & it’s case fills most of a Kona Ute bag.
    I’m getting rid of the Ute soon, & thinking how I’m going to cart the behemoth around on a regular bike.
    I even thought about approaching a place that makes trailer covers…
    I had one made some years ago, out of that really thick fully waterproof material, like the material used on a curtain sided truck…
    I think I could draw something up on Inventor (cad) 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Why would you (regularly) carry a 17″ laptop tho? plenty of options for docks and additional monitors in an office space, and at home you could do the same or set-up remote working to an office based machine. If you need to regularly take it home to go on site/client visits then why 17″ anyway, surely your not all crowded round a laptop in meetings? everyone in our office got rid of big laptops a few years ago.

pcb
    Free Member

I can pick and choose when and if I work from home so it needs to come with me. It wont be in a bag just in a sleeve.

STATO
    Free Member

Fair enough. Ortliebs might be ok, my 15″ mac fits nicely into my BackRollers when in a sleeve. A larger screen should be ok but would be more at risk of knocks when carrying the pannier as it would be larger than the plastic back plate/bumpers.

DaveP

ortlieb will be fine, not sure about the weight though!

Sandwich

Wrap your laptop in an exped dry bag too. The only guaranteed bit about waterproof panniers is that they keep water in very well from the smallest leak. (We get at least one client per year who asks about replacing a dead piece of electronic gear that ended up in a pool in the base of a pannier).

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVCfDioTcY[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Panniers for Cummuting’ is closed to new replies.