Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Panniers and stuff
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

Planning on doing the Camino de Santiago next year but we’ve never done anything similar before so I’m after some advice on panniers.

I’m guessing it will be a trip of about 10 days and we’ll need to take a tent and sleeping bags (in case we don’t get a space in the hostels as walkers get priority over cyclists) as well as a little clothing and bike bits.

Has anyone done something similar and can recommend panniers (or any general advice particularly regarding carrying stuff)

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a rack and panniers having done a bit of research. I bought a Tortec Expedition rack and Altura Dryline 56 panniers for my few days in France but I was tempted to go for a steel rack as they’re far tougher – maybe you should consider getting one but they are a bit more cash.

A good selection here:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Rear-Rack-254.htm

paulosoxo
    Free Member

DHB waterproof panniers look good for the money, if a little small

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

altura dryline stuff is good and pretty cheap.

i bought a tortek aluminium rack but wouldn’t want to put too much weight on it, if you can afford it get a tubus steel rack, they really are awesome (wiggle sell them).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tubus are superbly made. You can see why they are so expensive. I have broken tortek racks carrying camping gear offroad

eckinspain
    Free Member

thanks – I’ll have a look at these.

Do all racks attach to the bolts on the seat stays (coz my bike doesn’t have them!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tubus have a variety of fittings and mountings. the usual thing is to use P clips if you do’t have the braze ons

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used orkney 56 panniers – not a million miles from dry lines

when i toured nz .. 2 of us with the same panniers , no issues.

also used a madison stainless steel rack which again looked like a copy of tubus for about half the price at rrp again zero issues , and i also came across a fair few riders using the tubus copys while in nz. again with no issue

that was for on road and off road touring on a cyclo cross bike

druidh
    Free Member

I like the Drylines. I’ve used them on- and off-road. I particularly like the double-skin as it’s then possible to store wet stuff apart from dry stuff. The ones with an external pocket are handy as it saves you fishing through a big bag for stuff like snacks.

I’m not too fussed about racks. I reckon most decent makes will stand up to normal loads. Make sure whatever you buy will clear disk calipers (if appropriate). The Topeak Super Tourist DX – Disk should work in 99% of cases.

Consider a handlebar bag too. It spreads the load a bit and is great for keeping map, guidebook, camera etc. handy. Alternatively, strap the tent to the handlebars to get some weight forward. (Like this…)

You’ll find that rear wheel traction is immense with a laden rack. You’ll be able to pedal up loose/muddy stuff you might otherwise spin out on.

Also – think about clothing. Do you want to cycle in wet gear? A pair of waterprrof shorts might make a huge difference in comfort terms.

eckinspain
    Free Member

that’s gret druidh, thanks. We only decided this today so we will keep asking you questions for the foreseeable future!

colande
    Free Member

i wouldnt go for dhb stuff,

bought there panniers and the seems/stitching split,
    fine after i did sewing repairs but not recommended.
    but are very cheap and are large and waterproof,

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I did a long off road tour in the US with a bob trailer, I probably carried too much gear, but you ride a couple of days and not see a soul. I’ve toured with panniers but prefer the trailer. Ortlieb panniers are well worth the premium.

hicksville
    Free Member

we used one trailer last year for 3 of us, as mcmooter better than panniers and for us cheaper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw if i was paying full retail id buy ortliebs….. but my alturas did get alot of admiration from people sporting ortliebs….

id also buy 4 smaller panniers as oppose to buying 2 larger ones ….

i know you told me that druidh but you know learn by your own mistakes !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to say I disagree with Druidh about racks. I have broken tortec (twice) and Blackburn racks using them for camping kit offroad. The tubus is also far more stable. He is right about distributing weight around the bike if you can. Tent poles along a frame tube is a good one for example

eckinspain
    Free Member

I did a long off road tour in the US with a bob trailer, I probably carried too much gear, but you ride a couple of days and not see a soul. I’ve toured with panniers but prefer the trailer. Ortlieb panniers are well worth the premium.

Interesting, I was speaking to someone at the weekend who has done the camino a couple of times and he suggested a trailer over panniers also. He said riding off-road with panniers was tricky as they raise the centre-of-gravity more than a trailer.

Any trailer suggestions then?!!

julesf7
    Free Member

Having done a bit of road-touring years ago, carrying too much stuff of course, I wanted to try some proper off-road fun later this year with the Cairngorm loop. Having read a bit about trailers and talked to a few people who used the Bob Yak I want to give one a go, and intend to buy an Extrawheel in a few weeks (www.extrawheel.com/). The best price I have found is as Cyclesense in Tadcaster (www.cyclesense.co.uk). Alternatives are the Cargo Trailer from the Edinburgh Co-op, who also currently have the Weber Monoporter slightly discounted. Please do post your experiences

hicksville
    Free Member

edingburgh cycles revolution trailer, cheaper and works hopefully they have a better bag

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Panniers and stuff’ is closed to new replies.