Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pannier v Frame Bag for commuting
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Okay so here is the situation, I commute 8.5 miles a day each way carrying minimal stuff, the max I carry is 1 shirt, 1 pair trousers, and lunch, the bike (Genesis Day One Disc) lives in the office with me, so removal not an issue, i normally carry it all in a rucksac, hoiwever noi its getting warner my bag is getting a bit sweaty, so what would you recommend, i have been looking t a pannier, but i like the simplicity and clean lines of a frame bag like the Alkit Stingray, does anyone have any experience of these, and is there anything esle i need to consider…

Many thanks in advance

whitestone
    Free Member

For commuting I use a Carradice SQR system bag (can’t remember the model) which attaches to the seat post and is easy to put on/remove. I’ve a Wildcat Ocelot as a partial frame bag for MTB/bikepacking activities.

Both have advantages and disadvantages: anything you put in a frame bag has to be fairly narrow otherwise it gets in the way of your pedalling. The Carradice bag looks very odd but can take quite bulky items.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I did use panniers for a few years but switched to a Carradice Nelson + SQR seat mount.
    If not using the saddlebag you are just left with a small plastic block on the seatpost so would keep the clean lines that you are after.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Framebag would wear away at your frame, and possibly not last too long at the wear points either.

Panniers are generally tougher material, and as it’s on a rack, won’t matter a **** if it wears the paintwork.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but i like the simplicity and clean lines of a frame bag”

they aint clean lines …. it looks like a 5 year old coloured in your bike badly.

i have a frame bag and i do use it on occasion how ever its out of necessity not choice.

carradice camper longflap for commuting much better at the job in every respect.

convert

The art of cycle commuting is to not look (and smell) like swampy’s less well kempt brother whilst on the job. Surely a shirt and pair of trousers swashed into a frame bag has you on a looser from the start?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How about something like this Bridge Street bag. Keep meaning to get one for my winter commuter but never got round to it.

I wouldn’t put a frame bag on a commuter for various reasons, looks and side winds being a couple.

akak
    Free Member

Pannier bags are in lidl this week by the way.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thought you only used a frame bag when you’d run out of other places to hang luggage ?
    Certainly wouldn’t consider one for daily commuter use, especially if you’re carrying office clothing

matts
    Free Member

I have personally gone from rucksack -> panniers -> rack bag -> large seat pack.

Day to day I take what I need in a large Ortlieb seat pack (kecks, polo shirt, sarnies, wallet, phone). Sometimes I take a 10L Vaude backpack if I need to carry more than my daily stuff.

CraigW
    Free Member

If you have a rack, and don’t need to carry much, just use a rack top bag. Its neater, lighter weight, more aerodynamic etc than a single pannier.
    eg the Vaude Silkroad is pretty good: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vaude/silkroad-l-bag-ec047570

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pannier v Frame Bag for commuting’ is closed to new replies.