• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pannier Racks – options?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions for good quality, rear pannier racks? I've looked at Tortec and Tubus but wondered if there are any other brands I'm missing. I've seen Topeak and Blackburn but they use crappy twisted plate for the seatstay stays (rather than tubing) and I'd like something more substantial than that.

Any thoughts any one?

It's to go on a 700c wheel cx/tourer bike

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got these Tubus racks from an online shop in England, I sadly cant remember where they were. They sold Tubus stuff a LOT cheaper than anyone else. Not much help I'm afraid. The racks are really well made and are the universal standard for expedition bikes.

myheadsashed

I have the same racks as McM and bought them online from Germany.

druidh
    Free Member

For "round the world" robustness and quality, Tubus are held as the meisters. Having said that, I've never seen a "crappy twisted plate" seatstay snap on any other brand. I use a Topeak Super Tourist DX as it's the only one which will get around all disk incompatibilities.

travellingman
    Free Member

Old Man Mountain 'Red Rock'. Hand made in California and available from Carradice in the UK.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I got a tortec one on the recommendation of a friend. seems alright, but hasnt had to carry anything more than a dry bag with a change of clothes in.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Matt, I reckon I know which friend you're refering to.

I like the look of the Tubus ones but they are pretty pricey and possibly overkill for me.

Hmmm

Pieface

I've been using a basic Tortec for the last 4 years commuting. Uses the twisted metal. My main concern is the welds on the main bit of the rack but so far so good. Not done much heavy work, a couple of rides fully loaded off-road.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i know. I am now trying to justify a set of panniers for my now not-really-ever-going-to-happen commute.

Want a set of carradice ones because they are made round the corner from where my mum was brought up, but have no reason to actually buy any!

Pieface

The Tortec copies of the Tubus ones look to be the best bet. CTC forum seem to think Tortec are good.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

got tortec ultralight and had a good load on them with no issues at all, seems a really good rack

Bez

Try Thorn (SJS Cycles) – I've got their lowrider and it's built like a brick plophouse, I would assume their rear rack is equally solid (never bought one as I already had a Blackburn which has been plenty sturdy).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pannier Racks – options?’ is closed to new replies.