Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • panier rack on a bike without mounts
  • garethh
    Free Member

I’ve got a klein attitude from about 5 years ago which i’d like to add a panier to for some touring however its got no rack mounts etc, whats the best way around this as I may need to carry stuff for two weeks staying in YHA’s. Its got some rigid pace rc31’s on the front so not sure if I can/ would like to add a rack to the front?

Cheers,

Gareth

ourmaninthenorth

Google “p clips”. That’s how it’s usually done.

Unless you want to sell me your Klein….. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

http://www.carradice.co.uk for Old Man Mountain racks, which don’t need braze-ons. Alternatively, the Carradice saddle bags are surprisingly OK. Here is my Longflap Camper in situ on SQR mounts for a hostelling jaunt:

This looks retro and awkward, but it doesn’t swing about, it does in fact keep clear of the tyre, isn’t in the way of your pedalling and doesn’t foul up the weight distribution too badly. 🙂

footstomper
    Free Member

Try chainreaction or wiggle, I bought some a few years back for my bike which had no eyelets for fastening too.
    Try here fixings

ourmaninthenorth

Another gratuitous Carradice shot from BD… sigh.

Actually, a friend has a Carradice saddle bag (not as big as that one). It’s ace, and I’d thoroughly recommend it. It really does mount very securely to the saddle rails, but relies on a regualr quick release, so is easy to demount.

There are also the seatpost mounted “beam” racks, which will certainly take some sort of bag (not sure if panniers, though).

AdamM
    Free Member

If you need to use panniers due to the amount of stuff you want to carry and thus need racks then Old Man Mountain racks are the way to go. If you need to carry less, then a saddle bag and bar bag could be a viable option.

BigDummy
    Free Member

You just wait Tom. There will be piccies of my new Pace RC305 with Pikes and my longflap camper before the summer is out. 😉

catfood
    Free Member

BD how is that setup on the bumpy stuff?

midlifecrashes

If you go the p-clip route, keep them close to the tube ends as Kleins butted tubes are very thin, or at least ,their weight suggests they are.

garethh
    Free Member

mid life – cheers that was my worry and why I had thought about attaching them via the qr’s, not sure if this is possible though?

midlifecrashes

You’ll be wanting something like this then?

Action Outdoor

And at the top end

SJS Cycles
    CRC have Ambrosio versions in 34.9 too.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Just get another bike 😀

ourmaninthenorth

You just wait Tom. There will be piccies of my new Pace RC305 with Pikes and my longflap camper before the summer is out.

Look at the weird man, mummy….

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Midlifecrashes – you are a genius!

Due to my commuter bike having such a diddy frame, I can’t mount the top braces of the rack on the frame eyes (the brake fouls them), so have lashed up a seatpost fixing made from an old Cateye light mount. But, it isn’t that sturdy – that SJS mount looks just the job.

EDIT fopr gratuitous pic of bike…. You can just about see the lash up I’ve made…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Catfood – it’s alright on the bumpy. It’s stable, it doesn’t swing side-to-side, it isn’t going to shoot off. What you have got is a big wodge of unsuspended weight sitting on the back of the bike, and it’s rather higher than panniers or a rack-top bag are. It definitely doesn’t improve the riding experience, but luggage never does, and for my taste I prefer it as unsuspended weight on the bike than suspended weight on my shoulders. Also, and I’ve done this before, I don’t feel very nervous about leaving the bag places while I do a loop. It looks like it contains a fluo cape, some corduroy and a copy of the journal of the RSF rather than any precious things, and it hides pretty well. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tubus do various fixing kits for bikes without mounts – rather stronger looking than p clips. Having broken loads of racks over the years and now tried tubus I will only use their stuff in future. Stronger, more stable and well made.

catfood
    Free Member

Ta BD thinking of something along those lines for bivvying.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘panier rack on a bike without mounts’ is closed to new replies.