Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Panier information
  • juan
    Free Member

Has anyone used a Knog Boxer Dog ‘Rackless’ Panniers and Backpack?

How would you rate it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Interesting concept.

Bikeradar weren’t keen: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/racks/product/boxer-dog-rackless-panniers-33733

I am not sure I see the problem with using a rack personally, but there we go.

ourmaninthenorth

I like having a rack on my bike. it seems a perfectly sensible solution to being able to carry all sorts of stuff AND attach two 20 litre panniers to it.

Not as useful as BD’s BD. But better than that silliness.

Knog – stick yo what you do best: lezzer kissing.

juan
    Free Member

Thanks bigdummy my commuting bike is a raod bike and have no rack mounts so I can’t really use a standard rack.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Juan – unless you’re carrying really heavy stuff you can almost certainly fix a rack using p-clips. It isn’t ideal but it’ll work. The other thing perhaps to look at is a Carradice bag on the seatpost. Old-man-tastic, but a very solid system.

juan
    Free Member

I am not very keen on a seatpost rack. I am paranoid it will spin.

Worst case scenario I’ll need to get the laptop and my judo stuff. Not very heavy but quite bulky.

It’s so hard to save the planet 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Carradice saddlebags aren’t the same thing as the various Topeak jobbies that clamp onto the seatpost. I’ve run those in the past without much success, but currently have a longflap camper bag on the SQR system on my weekender. It’s a huge bag, very, very nicely made, waterproof and very solid. Without any huge clamping force it just stays put, and is wider than it is long and clear of your legs, so I’ve detected no tendency to swing at all. Also, it’ll transfer nicely to the mountainbike for times when that seems like a good idea.

It’s so hard to save the planet

I reckon, in all seriousness, that getting your cargo-carrying right is the single biggest step to using rhe bike sensibly as a means of transport. It is worth some thought and expense. As tom points out, my actual solution for most uses is the Big Dummy, which is admittedly overkill for most people! 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carradice SQR Slim saddlebag, which is pretty neat.

Just about room for sensible sized laptop (I think mine is 14″) and a change of clothes. There are bigger ones as mentioned above, although I’m not sure if they’re conveniently laptop shaped.

Weight sits in the middle of the bike, and doesn’t move around at all. The only downside is that it does make a little bit of noise if you have anything loose in there, and it is not quite as big as a pannier. Can carry a surprising amount of shopping though.

Reason for it is because I didn’t want to stick a rack on my nice road bike.

Joe

juan
    Free Member

Thanks all I’ll investigate the carradice solution.
    But I am liking the idea of the rack to be honest so I can go to the market on sunday morning if my mum let me 😳

STATO
    Free Member

How about this with a carradice bag, holds stuff a bit lower than the SQR. Fits to the saddle rails (easy fit with one 6mm allen key) so its more stable than seatpost style clamps and saves scratching your post, tho itll not work on fancy race saddles if your carrying heavy stuff. I used mine to carry my clothes for a C2C ride on my FS-MTB and it did a great job. Just make sure youll have clearence clarence, if not then the SQR is prob a better option.

ourmaninthenorth

A friend runs a Carradice saddlebag using the SQR mount. It’s a moment’s work to mount and unmount the bag, and he can get piles of stuff in it.

A rack is useful, but consider carefully how much stuff you want to take on it. I have a fairly flimsy rack, which develops a speed wobble with two fully loaded Ortlieb back roller panniers (although it is more a function os a slightly – frame induced – botch of the mounting).

Racks are where it’s at. As are all things capable of making your bike into a machine for transport AND carrying stuff.

juan
    Free Member

Well as I said I will mainly be moving my change of clothes for a week, maybe my laptop (I can still carry it on my messenger bag but I’d rather make the most of the pannier) and once a week my judo stuff (a towel and the gi) not very heavy but quite important in term of volume.

I’ll pop to the LBS and see what they can have.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Panier information’ is closed to new replies.