Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Panda eye from skiing/boarding
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Who likes getting it? I didn’t bother with sun cream one season and got it quite strongly. I’ve started using suncream all the time though so don’t have it and now when i see people with it really noticeably i can’t help thinking “what a plonker”. 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The mark of the douchebag!

I think one of the snowboard mags used to run a regular “Panda Watch” column.

My personal favorite is the combination goggle and fringe tan that leaves a massive triangular shark fin across a girl’s forehead.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t see it so often these days. When I started skiing everyone had it. We went skiing with a you chap who went for some snazzy patterns with some fluorescent zinc block, he got some interesting tan lines.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    michaelmcc
    Free Member

The mark of the douchebag!

😆

Yeah I think a lot of the young kids do it purposefully these days as a few of my mates have done, which can look silly I reckon.

Not to mention the resemblance of your skin to a leather boot in a few years!

nbt

It’s a Seaonnaire’s badge of honour, the goggle tan.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’m half way through my second season and I don’t have it just by wearing sun cream, I think it looks silly. I teach skiing on the slopes too so I’m outside a lot.

Obviously if you keep doing seasons or are a pro then its unavoidable after a few years.

Does anyone actually find it attractive though??

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve seen a fair few ski instructors with it. I don’t think they have much choice.
    Sun block for me.

nealglover
    Free Member

I worked as a ski instructor in Austria and Oz all year round pretty much for 10 years.

I looked like I nigerian wearing a white sleep mask :mrgreen:

Don’t think it looks good though, just part of the job really.

(suncream helps, but doesn’t stop it from happening)

McHamish
    Free Member

I managed to give myself something called a ****gap (rhymes with prat…won’t risk saying it as I got banned by an overzealous mod once). It’s a little strip of red between your goggles and beany. Much to the amusement of my chums.

Crell
    Free Member

Currently sporting a mild but noticeable goggle tan. I will stand in the corner with the other douchebags.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Yeah I think a lot of the young kids do it purposefully these days

These are the douchebags – an accidental one off panda-ing (pandering?)is understandable…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not in January – I need the vitamin D. But from March onward the Sun is markedly stronger and you get massive reflection off the snow. So the sunscreen goes on.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My best tip is always remember to buy your sun cream in summer sized bottles in October, rather than pat 4 or 5 times (or 10 to 20 in resort) as much for the “ski specific” stuff once the season kicks off

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oliverd, I concur.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Not in January

I got panda eye one time skiing for two weeks in switzerland in march when it was overcast nearly every day! Just the exposure does it for me.

Woody
    Free Member

Remembering to take off goggles/glasses when on a lift (with eyes closed obviously) + high factor sunscreen works for me.

And if you do accidentally get panda eyes I would not recommend attempting eradication by sunbathing with liberally applied sunblock everywhere except the eyes……that would just be silly and painful ……. 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

I worked with a very nice Finnish girl, very down to earth, who went on a 3 week sailing trip for her summer holiday. Her face went deep reddy tan and her eyes were really quite white, the result was absolutely ridiculous. I came in on her first day back and said hi.. she must have caught me staring for a second longer whilst I did an internal ‘holy cow’, cos after a second she broke into embarassed laughter with me following shortly afterwards.

I reckon you could book some time at a sunbed and take a piece of cardboard with two holes cut in it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Panda eye from skiing/boarding’ is closed to new replies.