Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Panda 4×4 anyone?
  • imnotverygood

Anyone got the latest Panda 4×4. Any thoughts? Quite fancy one for next winter.

RobHilton
    Free Member

4 x 4 = 16

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MrsCat has one.
    Super little car.
    Search YouTube for the Panda vs Range Rover test, sold it to us.

gringojimi
    Free Member

Had a 55 plate 1.2 petrol for 5 trouble free years.
    Surprisingly capable off road and also great in city traffic. Well out of its depth on motorways as you’d expect.

Not entirely sure how different the new ones are compared to the previous model, but if it fits your requirements then go for it. I’ve found Fiats a lot more reliable than the stereotype suggests!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

My mate has one its a really really good car but it is proper minging. It’s hard to believe an Italian designed it

crankboy
    Free Member

Well out of depth on motorways ? In what way I have the non 4×4 panda it runs along happily at 70 doing about 50 mpg.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@crankboy- he’s right, you can’t sit at 90 up the exhaust of any car in front, you need an Audi for that. 😀

khani
    Free Member

you can’t sit at 90 up the exhaust of any car in front

If you buy a Multijet and get a remap you can 😀 or so I’m told…

martymac

re: fiat reliability
    i had a 2004 punto 1.3 multijet diesel, did 65000 miles in 3 years in it, no problems at all, and it would happily sit at 80 up any motorway hill fully loaded.
    lots more torque than the 1.2 petrol sporting (which was the same price)
    averaged 54mpg the whole time i had it, if i was looking for a small car would defoe consider one again.
    4×4 panda is available with the same engine . . . .
    consider road tax too, as diesels usually have lower co2 than equivalent petrol.

hora
    Free Member

Well out of its depth on motorways as you’d expect.

I hired a 1.2 Panda on holiday in Ibiza. I LOVED IT. Awesome car but at 120km/h+ it just didn’t feel good at all.

Then again its not that sort of car is it.

If it was me I’d just get the regular Panda and put some decent winter tyres on when needed. My C1/a hired 107 was brilliant in snow/ice with low weight/skinny tyres anyway.

Bimbler
    Free Member

FIAT reliability – scores pretty well in latest surveys

I thought German cars were meant to be reliable

gringojimi
    Free Member

The non 4×4 Panda is indeed much more capable on the motorway. I think the gear ratios were different on the 4×4 compared to the standard Pandas.

Always felt like I wanted to change up another gear when at 70. That and the 4×4 setup did make it more thirsty.

hot_fiat

Bro-in law has one (he works for a fiat garage). It’s awesome. I borrowed his 1.3 diesel 4×4 as a courtesy car while the 500 was being serviced and it’s really cool. Not hugely fast but the engine’s characterful enough and can certainly pootle along at 80 “on a runway” quite nicely. It has a fair bit of body roll, but the suspension’s well sorted and obliterates speed bumps. High driving position is really comfy and there’s more interior space than you’d imagine.

The continental m&s tyres are a little noisy, but a set of 16″ abarth alloys with tyres (from people installing the esseesse kits on 500s) are so cheap on fleabay you could easily swap them out for the summer.

I’ve heard mixed reports of the twinair version: the engine’s a hoot (900cc parallel twin, turbocharged with multiair valve train) and loves been thrashed but the resultant lack of economy is pretty poor. Yes it’ll do 70mpg if you drive it like a nun, but where’s the fun in that?

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

We had a 06 plate 1.2 petrol 4×4. Did 15k miles in the first 12months. brilliant little cars and build quality loads better than Fiats of old. 1.2 very economical and the 1.3 multijet is a little expensive. Boot is a little small, but we manage to fit two dogs in the boot including our greyhound x. Some came with split folding and sliding rear seats which may be worth seeking out. Great in the snow. The new TwinAir 4×4 Panda look great and is a fair bit bigger. Tempted by to have one of those in the future.

benji
    Free Member

Had the original and it was spot on, not tried the new one, but now after what you have all said it’s time I did.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Will a bike fit with the wheels off and the seats down?

gribble
    Free Member

Apparently the twinair model comes with 6 gears, diesel 5. I usually would always plum for a diesel, but the twinair is £1k cheaper and I would like the 6th gear for longer runs.

Looks awesome though, Fiat make great small cars and they look pretty capable offroad. If I didn’t do so much motorway time, I would definitely look at one.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Will a bike fit with the wheels off and the seats down? ” yes that was part of my test drive . takes a 19 inch p7 and a santacruz and all kit for two for a weekend away .

also takes a p7 across the back seat with the wheels off despite a large child seat in back.

on child point our 3 year old model does not have isofix and we had to do research to get a pushchait system thing that fits in the boot (bugaboo)

hot_fiat

our 3 year old model does not have isofix and we had to do research to get a pushchair system thing that fits in the boot (bugaboo)

I thought this was mandatory from 2007 but looks like they managed to squeeze it through without with the previous type approval.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Panda 4×4 anyone?’ is closed to new replies.