Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Pancake mix in a bottle.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mooching round the shops today and I have loads of this stuff on offer. You know the just add milk and shake pancake mix. Have folks really lost the ability to make pancake batter.? It’s not like the stuff was that hard to make in the first place.

Haze

Grated cheese, ice cubes etc.

murderburgh
    Free Member

i thought it made a tasty protein drink…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but making pancakes is a right messy faff.

Ooh, why don’t we do pancakes all year?

Then, when you come to clean up, you realise why.

i wouldn’t use a bottled pancake mixture though. My pancake recipe is the best in the World.

mav12
    Free Member

or buy microwavable pancakes 😮

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had similar thoughts when I saw the arrival of ready made Yorkshire puds and roast spuds. Are people really so busy earning money to spend on such labour saving cooking thigns that they have to eat such labour saving cooking things?

FFS, it takes no time at all to make roast spuds!

nuke

You know the just add milk and shake pancake mix.

Sounds a hassle. Why can’t they just invent a spray can? 🙄

:edit: They have!

😀

Holmesey
    Free Member

Butter in a Pritstick

IdleJon

Have folks really lost the ability to make pancake batter.?

Morrisons sell pre-boiled eggs.

Coffee comes in ready to heat up cups, because instant coffee making is soooooo complex.

The one that really irritates me is rice. Boil in the bag rice. As opposed to boil in the pan, and strain. No saving at all, just more packaging, but it is sold as being simpler. I almost divorced my wife when she bought some a few weeks ago.

You know the just add milk and shake pancake mix.

Just occurred to me, why would they not include everything in a wet mix?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can buy whole frozen doner kebabs in LiDLs.

Grimy
    Free Member

Cup of flour, Cup of milk, an egg and whisk. Pinch of salt maybe. Have I missed something? As if we didnt already have enough plastic bottles floating about in the sea. 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

The one that really irritates me is rice. Boil in the bag rice. As opposed to boil in the pan, and strain.

The Uncle Ben’s (and others) microwave-in-a-bag rice is excellent, because it is perfect every time and only takes 90 seconds. However currently one bag is’t enough for family Grips and two is too much. And it’s dead expensive, and possibly salty.

Drac

Then, when you come to clean up, you realise why.

What all that mixture the washes straight out of the bowl with just water?

IdleJon

My pan-rice comes out perfectly every time as well. Rice isn’t difficult to cook.

But it takes longer than 90 seconds, so just think what I could be doing with those other 270 seconds (or so)……..

mogrim

Coffee comes in ready to heat up cups, because instant coffee making is soooooo complex.

The one that really irritates me is rice. Boil in the bag rice. As opposed to boil in the pan, and strain. No saving at all, just more packaging, but it is sold as being simpler. I almost divorced my wife when she bought some a few weeks ago.

Generally agree with you, but heat up cups are pretty handy when you’re out and about and there’s no kettle available, and microwave rice is ideal for heating up at the office for lunch…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I sincerely hope the frozen kebab comes with a free accompanimant of lethal food poisoning.

molgrips
    Free Member

My pan-rice comes out perfectly every time as well. Rice isn’t difficult to cook

It is. You’ve got the hang of it, bully for you. It is a fickle substance to cook though, can’t argue with that.

Unless you are using easy-cook rice which is horrible.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would buy a 25kg sack of spuds for around £4 only to find that my ex was buying frozen chips.! Because she couldn’t be arsed.! She wasn’t oven cooking them either so that argument was out of the window. She seriously tried telling me that washing or peeling the spuds was too much hassle.!

I sh!t you not folks. 😯

ebygomm
    Free Member

Boil in the bag rice is good for camping I find.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I’d rather use oven chips that wash peel and chip potatoes.

But I don’t live on a farmstead in the country

tonyd

I actually bought some of that bottled pancake stuff from the petrol station the other night! If you’d witnessed my better half’s pancakes you’d understand.

Edit: <Steps back and waits for childish double entendres about my better half’s pancakes>

joemarshall
    Free Member

rice. As opposed to boil in the pan, and strain.

What you suggest gets on my goat – people who add too much water to rice and then strain it. You end up with horrible wet rice. Yuck. It’s a throwback from the olden days when rice was something new and exciting and they cooked it just like they’d cook their horrible overcooked mushy carrots or whatever, because they hadn’t met anyone who knew how to cook rice properly.

It is. You’ve got the hang of it, bully for you. It is a fickle substance to cook though, can’t argue with that.

Unless you are using easy-cook rice which is horrible.

Rice is easy if you are methodical about cooking it. Here you go:

Rice for 2 people:

2/3 of a mug of rice
    1 mug water

1)Put rice and water in pan.
    2)turn on heat, cover.
    3)if the water in the pan boils right up to the top, turn heat down.
    4)Wait until all the water has been absorbed into the rice.
    5)Turn off heat, serve.

Adjust quantities depending on how much rice your family eats and how big your mugs are, but as long as you use the same thing to measure out the rice and the water, and use 1 and a half times as much water as rice, you should be fine.

Once you get used to cooking it, you can smell the rice is done from the rice cooking smell in the kitchen, so you don’t even have to check the rice.

As a bonus, as well as getting nicer rice, it’s more environmentally friendly (no wasted water, less heat wasted bringing water to the boil).

sockpuppet

STW in several-ways-to-do-things shocker!!!

Cooking rice in excess water can be very successful so long as you don’t cook it to within an inch of its life, and drain well, toss briefly to let the steam vent off.

Yes, JoeMarshall’s way works, and works well. It’s not the only way though…

IA

You can buy whole frozen doner kebabs in LiDLs.

Frozen kebabs are surprisingly tasty, and with a surprisingly high meat content. A filthy, guilty pleasure…

molgrips
    Free Member

Washing and peeling spuds then making chips is hassle. Not much granted, but I’ve got better things to do in the 3 hours between hometime and bedtime than peel frigging potatoes.

Rice is somewhat technical to do well – not like say making custard but more so than pasta or carrots or something.

And finally, Mrs Grips’s rice came out superbly last night.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Frozen kebabs are surprisingly tasty, and with a surprisingly high meat content. A filthy, guilty pleasure…

You filthy dirty slut! 😮

Mmm… Kebabs….

McHamish
    Free Member

I saw pancake mix on offer in Tescos last night.

The wife was out with friends and I was tempted to eat pancakes for dinner, but ended up buying beer instead.

CaptJon
    Free Member

That is proper lazy, you should brew it yourself.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My pancake recipe

RECIPE??????

Pancake batter is pancake batter is pancake batter. Why is YOUR recipe more pancakey than pancake batter?

Actually, this is elfin I am asking. I am not sure I want to know the answer.
    😯

But I agree – pre-made batter is wrong. There is nothing nicer than a Sunday morning whisking up a load of pancakes with a proper coffee on the go. And serve the pancakes with FRESHLY SQUEEZED lemon juice and natural unrefined sugar.

I wish it was Sunday already.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but making pancakes is a right messy faff.

YOU WHAT?????? YOU ‘AVIN A LAAARFFFFF?????

Bowl. Egg. Flour. Milk. Whisk. Done.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, this is elfin I am asking. I am not sure I want to know the answer.

You do, but I can’t actually tell you as it’s secret.

They are actually the best in’t World. Factoid.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s the same as microwaves. There’s nothing you can do in a microwave that you can’t do without. Why do people have them?

My US-living cousin was stunned that we didn’t have one. And that we actually cook from scratch every day.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

t’s the same as microwaves. There’s nothing you can do in a microwave that you can’t do without. Why do people have them?

Speed

I got home last night after working late and got a supermarket curry on the way home – 4 minutes and it was done.

Ohh, and they heat a 180ml bottle of toddler milk in 50 seconds, two in 80 seconds or, at bedtime, two 240ml bottles in 140 seconds.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

YOU WHAT?????? YOU ‘AVIN A LAAARFFFFF?????

Bowl. Egg. Flour. Milk. Whisk. Done.

I think some numpties are trying to wash their batter mix off with hot water – thus cooking it on to their utensils – rather than rinsing in cold water first.

miketually
    Free Member

Speed

Real food is worth waiting for.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Real food is worth waiting for.

Agreed.

Working late and heating a pre-packaged supermarket curry isn’t worth waiting for – it tastes the same either way it is reheated.

LycraLout
    Free Member

for people who find all that adding milk and sugar too much like effort

spooky_b329

It’s the same as microwaves. There’s nothing you can do in a microwave that you can’t do without. Why do people have them?

Been without a microwave for four years, just bought one two weeks ago. Its great being able to heat a mug of milk (for latte/hot choc etc) in two minutes flat rather than watching a pan for five minutes and then having to scrub the scum out afterwards, great to get a head start on baked potatos when you forget to put them in the oven early enough, and great to be able to reheat Sundays fish pie in 10 minutes rather than letting it go crusty in the oven for 45 minutes 🙂

We cook rice in loads of water…keeping an eye on it as two minutes too long results in a soggy mess, then chuck a kettle of hot water over it in a colander to wash out the start, let it steam for a couple of minutes to dry…add curry and…perfect 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

for people who find all that adding milk and sugar too much like effort

After eating your weight in ready made burgers, kebabs and pancake mix…getting out of bed is an effort. Seems like companies are just catering for the increasingly obese population who can’t wash without a team of helpers.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I bet some of you lazy disgusting people on here don’t even grind your own flour.

You really make my blood boil!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Pancake mix in a bottle.’ is closed to new replies.