Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Panasonic LX5 (and general high-end compacts)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

About a month ago I bought a cheap, sh LX5 to use as a good quality walkabout camera. Last week, I had to go to one of my jobs to take some good completion photos, for marketing purposes. As usual, I took my Nikon D60, but I thought I’d take my LX5 and take some comparison shots to see how it performs. The results were less than impressive.

Now, the D60 is nothing special, but the photos from that came out really well, whereas all the photos taken with the LX5 were really soft and noisy.

I’m not expecting the LX5 to be as good quality as my Nikon, but I would expect better than I produced on that day.

I’m not blaming the camera, I’m thinking it’s more about me not knowing how to get the best out of such a camera.

Anyone with any advice?

elliott-20
    Free Member

I have had an LX3 for years and it took some getting used to. The settings are very good but occasionally you do need to fuss about with them to get the photo for the right conditions.

I also found that and ISO of around 200 helped. Interestingly I did once read that the only difference between the Lumix and the Leica (apart from the massive price difference) was how the Leica processed JPGS a little bit more sharper.

stumpy01

To be honest, unless you get a compact with a large sensor I think most of them will struggle compared to an SLR.

I bought a Nikon p300 a few years ago based on reviews that said how good it was. And it is a half decent camera, but compared to my (pretty old) Nikon D80 it is not even close.

I’d be interested to see some comparison shots between something like the Sony rx100 and a lower end SLR to see if it compares favourably given it’s large sensor.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I had an lx3 (maybe still do somewhere). Never go above base ISO (50?) and its pretty good, but will always struggle beside a decent DSLR. Which is basically why I stopped using it as my wife always has hers.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have a Canon 5D mkII and the latest gen Sony rx100. The IQ is actually pretty close at optimum settings at least. The 5D probably has better dynamic range, I’ve not done a proper comparison. You can get some idea at dpreview.com, the have a tool which lets you compare studio test shots of any two cameras they have reviewed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It seems to be mostly about sensor size.

Dxomark is interesting to compare cameras too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I actually wanted an Rx100 but thought I’d try this one. Perhaps I’ll save up my pennies for the Sony.

With regard to settings: I set it to the lowest iso (100) and left it there, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’re expecting too much. It’s a phone camera sensor.

If you want something that might be a substitute for a dslr you need to look at 1″ sensors and bigger.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got both a LX5 & a Nikon D40.The Nikon is superior on everything apart from size/portability.
    For me the most infuriating thing with the LX5 is it’s Autofocus,it’s just so slow..

stumpy01

Woah…! Good comparison image 5thElefant.
    I didn’t realise there was such a big variation. Even the 1″ of the rx100 is pretty small compared to and aps-c sized sensor.

The sensor in my p300 is even smaller than the LX3 one, I think…

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks all.

**wanders off to look for purchasing options for a Sony RX100.**

5thElefant
    Free Member

Even the 1″ of the rx100 is pretty small compared to and aps-c sized sensor.

Yeah, it is, but the 1″ sensor cameras tend to use fast lenses which helps compensate, when compared to a kit lens on a dslr at least.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Canon G7X mk II is out in may…

mikey74
    Free Member

The Panasonic LX100 also look pretty good.

stumpy01

5thElefant – Member

Yeah, it is, but the 1″ sensor cameras tend to use fast lenses which helps compensate, when compared to a kit lens on a dslr at least.

How fast does it stop down as you zoom?
    My p300 is 1.8 at the wide end but as soon as you touch the zoom it starts stopping down and at full zoom ends up at widest aperture of 4.9 – I suppose with a compact camera there will always be compromises and getting light into a small zoom lens must be a challenge!

The RX 100 IV is f2.8 wide open at full zoom (70mm – 35mm equivalent)

stumpy01

Ah, must be the older ones that aren’t constant aperture…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Sony is 1.8 to 2.8 so not constant aperture.

ampthill

I’d like to see a sample of the LX5 photo. The sample I downloaded when thinking of getting one were good

I have an Olympus XZ-1 which shows its age sensor wise particularly if I do much processing. But in reality the photos print fine

I did however get an RX100 on Sunday. IQ is way closer to my D90. I’m impressed so far. I’ll ad some photos to the RX100 thread soon. Oh i took some photos by candle light on saturday. Not great IQ but useable

ampthill

I have a Canon 5D mkII and the latest gen Sony rx100. The IQ is actually pretty close at optimum settings at least. The 5D probably has better dynamic range, I’ve not done a proper comparison. You can get some idea at dpreview.com, the have a tool which lets you compare studio test shots of any two cameras they have reviewed

As measured by DXO mark the total dynamic range is greater for the RX100

Imaging resource call it closer as they look at different noise thresholds

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic LX5 (and general high-end compacts)’ is closed to new replies.