Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Panaracer Rampage Tyres – Anybody got them?
  • Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I’m a devoted Panaracer user. Usually use Cinders or Trailrakers, but the Rampage looks a bit better for all-round usage.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of these, especially in comparison with the Cinder/Trailraker, before I shell out.

Ta!

grahamt1980

Much better than the cinders, faster rolling and feel better (well to me).
    Trailrakers there isn’t much comparison, trailrakers great in mud, rampages distinctly less so. However they are not designed for it.
    I run them as rear tyres on my meta and PA, only reason being that i really liked them that was and had a couple of intense edges to stick on the front.

Overall very good tyres, but quite thin sidewalls, run good pressure and you are fine

sharki
    Free Member

used them liked them..

Fiddle with pressures though to get the most out of them IMO

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

grahamt1980/sharki – Ta!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Okay for pure xc. They suffer badly from sidewall flex and offer little or no pinch flat protection.

househusband

I’m a big fan of the Panaracer ZSG rubber compound for trail centre type trails, if you know what I mean; surfaced or rocky. The Rampages are very similar to the Nevegal, but IMHO better rubber.

IdleJon

I was getting on fine with my Rampage 2.25s on my local well drained, rocky trails (very much like a trail centre surface).

Then last week I rode through an easy woodland trail. It was a nice day, but we’d had a few days of rain, so the surface had a thin layer of mud/mulch – and the tyres were worse than useless. I was like new-born bambi. No traction at all. No grip in any direction. I would have been far better with my old Fires.

So 10/10 unless you ride through Bishops Wood, Gower, in which case 0/10.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find them excellent for trail centres and dry riding, but they don’t like going round wet slippy corners

Del

fine on the back – replaced kenda nevegal, lower rolling resistance, thicker sidewalls, less grip though ( spin up on the road in the damp sometimes ). this is the old ones, equivalent to the current ‘sport’ types i think – the cheaper ones anyway.
    one just failed – cut through next to the tread between nobby bits on the flat of the tyre at about half worn. 🙁
    would have bought nevegals to replace if i’d been able to get them at the old 11-quid-a-go-price, but as it was could get the panaracers cheaper than the kendas this time, so did so.
    wouldn’t use them up front for love nor money, but have kenda blue grooves for that.

epicyclo

Just fitted a set to my 29er. Felt pretty confident on them on loose stuff. I like.

jam-bo

I like them, I’ve run them as a summer DH tyre before. Run them on the xc bike all year round.

radoggair
    Free Member

HAd them , used as a front because there’s faster rolling rear tyres out there. Grip was o.k, though comparedto a high roller no where near as good. After some unexpected washouts, mainly the wet i changed them. Would i use them again??……… prob not. Puncture easy as well when run at lo pressures, because thats where the grip is. Wouldn’t puncture easy at high pressures but then u’d have no grip. Catch 22 i guess

daveb
    Free Member

I have used them as a back tyre on and off for a couple of years, find them nice and grippy in most conditions (apart from mud but thats not what they are for). Didnt like it quite as much as a front tyre.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Cheers folks. This has helped a lot.

Nick.

iainc

Quinn – I have them front and back on full susser and think they are great for what i do – typical scottish natural stuff and a bit of trailcentre. They are surprisingly good round sloppy Mugdock on the few times they have been there. I run trailrakers on the hardtail most of the year as it is the wed night mugdock type stuff workhorse and there is really no comparison ! that said the trailrakers are now off and the fire xc pro’s on – hopefully dry trails tonight !

I will be replacing the Rampages with more of the same

bigyinn
    Free Member

Been using on rear for couple of years. They come off in the winter and then back on when it dries out.
    A bit flexy if you run low pressures, but fiddle with pressures to get the best out of them.
    One died after it got slashed by some south downs flint.

iainc

agree on pressures – mine are running pretty hard at about 42 psi – Orange 5 and me at 12.5 stone

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Panaracer Rampage Tyres – Anybody got them?’ is closed to new replies.