Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Panaracer Fire XC Pro Equivalent
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Have used Panaracer XC Pro’s for some time now. What is the equivalent /similar tyre from other manufacturer’s?

jimw
    Free Member

I used to use XC Pros even after they became decidedly unfashionable because I liked the predictability. I moved on to Maxxis Ignitors and I like those for the same reason.

I have used them in 26″ 27.5″ and 29″ versions all year round on the front, although in the summer I tend to use a lower rolling resistance tyre such as an Aspen on the back.

I use 2.35 on the front, 2.1 or 2.35 on the rear

Yak

I would go for something a bit faster/wider/more capable. So things like Rocket Rons snakeskin 2.25, Barzo 2.2, x-king protection 2.4 – that sort of thing. Fast, but ok in a bit of muck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

You are in for a treat if XC Pro’s are your current tyre….

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Have always used 2.1 on the front and back. What differences should I expect going to say 2.35?

Yak

Lower pressures, so more tyre deformation over the bumps = smoother and faster ride. Also more grip as the contact patch is bigger. You also need less tread for the same amount of grip.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You are in for a treat if XC Pro’s are your current tyre….

This.

matt_outandabout

OP – where do you ride, and what kind of riding?

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Its a 50/50 split between roads and grassy hard pack byways. Nothing extreme at all.

jimw
    Free Member

in that case I’d stick to 2.1’s personally

faustus

Had XC pros for a while…back in 2005. They’re just OK, every tyre i’ve had since then has been better. For something XC-ish I love a WTB Bronson, maybe an Ardent for the rear?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, you want something quickish, Rocket ron, ardent, that sort of thing.

Yak

Ok then 2.1 or 2.0s will be fine. Get something like a fast-trak, saguaro, race king etc.

matt_outandabout

Its a 50/50 split between roads and grassy hard pack byways. Nothing extreme at all.

In which case, whatever tyre you can lay your hands on in a cheapo sale that is lightish, flexible and a smaller tread.

windyg
    Free Member

2.1 Thunderburts for that kind of riding

aP
    Free Member

^^ wot he said.
    I’m currently using 2.1 Thunder Burts for riding road/ gravel/ singletrack/ bridleway/ general stuff. They’ve been very predictable and are fast and surprisingly grippy.

dukeduvet

Second the wtb Bronson. Don’t know if anyone sells them now.

They are fast and drifty in a controlled way. Lots of fun.

Still have fire pro on my old kona and do a decent job. Think they are ten years old!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Panaracer Fire XC Pro Equivalent’ is closed to new replies.