• This topic has 106 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Pale ales – recommendations and places of purchase
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

+1 for Blandford Fly as well.

The ginger is ace. 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

what id really like is a mixed case of different pale ales but the places online seem to do it by country, brewer or random mixes of different beers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

fontmoss, my boss is currently living his boyhood dreams to the max. He has a Goldfinger 007 Aston Martin DB5, several Maseratis and is currently building a brewery near Pennistone. His dream is a beer and classic car day out for ‘blokes’, with the intention of an online shop stocking every bottled beer produced in the Uk, with online ordering.
    Oh, How the other half live!. He’s a down to earth nice guy tho, so can’t hate him for it, much. 😉

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Brewdog do some mixed cases, delivery is a bit pricey but worth every penny. Their beers are better than your average UK bitter and probably more like well hopped US IPA’s.

They have also started doing punk IPA in cans which is awesome.

Web site here – Brewdog

fontmoss
    Free Member

BA-wtf?! how does one go about living the dream?

ncfenwick, cheers i’ll give it a look

Nick

Problem with Old Empire is that it’s in clear bottles, it’s ok if you can get a bottle that’s not been exposed to light but most have been and are skunked.

Same goes for Spitfire.

See skunked or lightstruck

Agree about Wye Valley beers.

Shropshire Gold is lovely.

Taylor Landlord doesn’t travel in my experience (best pint of beer I’ve ever had when it’s been just right though).

Sam Smiths Old Brewery Pale Ale is very nice.

Deuchars IPA is piss and they should be fined under the trade descriptions act.

White Shield IPA and Meantime IPA are probably the two best examples of real IPAs.

Jaipur is nice but not true to style.

Try looking for some of the mad American stuff, Flying Dog, Stone etc

I like Brewdog’s 5am Saint too.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I like this stuff

Garry_Lager

Dunno Tiggs, I’ve made an effort with various Stewart ales seen as they’re local but I find them mediocre. I appreciate the fact that they’re not running round like a bunch of gaylords trying to market their ale, a la Brew Dog, but the product just isn’t there for me. Being that close to Ikea can’t be good for their creativity.

sunchaser
    Free Member

Deuchars & Sunchaser are two of my favourites.

Stoner
    Free Member

Overnighting in London at short notice and currently drinking my first Youngs bitter for 10+ years. Happy to eat my words and admit its a pretty good pint and nothing like as rubbish as I remember. It’s no IPA but its a good pint in here (wargrave arms, off edgware)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

How much was said pint, Stoner?

Just out of interest like.

simondbarnes

I have some Innis & Gunn IPA in the fridge. Will be sampling it later 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

A ring-stretching £3.40 for a 3.7% session beer.

Nuts.

Going back to the bar, and ill pop into the pub round the corner where I know they do old hooky

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That Innis and Gunn is magic.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

£3.40! Jeez, I was paying over a pound less than that in Mancy last night…

Still, glad it was nice!

adstick
    Free Member

If you like the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale try their Torpedo (IPA) – stronger and hoppier. If like me, you like American IPAs and there are loads, if you can find them. Some I’ve enjoyed are Goose Island, Dogfish Head, Odell and Flying Dog.

mark_b
    Free Member

If you want a varied selection of bottled local ales i can recommend Pudsey Asda (near Leeds) – happened to be in there last night and they had thoughtfully displayed a selection of ales from all local breweries including Ilkley, Ossett, and Saltaire, plus many from further afield.

I now have some new brews to enjoy this weekend.

ourmaninthenorth

Not had enough Butcombe at my local. Will put a request in with our landlord…

Get thee to the Three Kings Inn in Hanley Castle. Though I visit only once a year (annual apple buying trip), they always seem to have a pint of Butcombe on. Mind you, it’s a bit pricey these days – it’s gone up to £2 a pint…. 😉

I know they do old hooky

I grew up in the next village to Hook Norton. Funnily enough, I’ve never drunk so much Hooky since moving away..!

ourmaninthenorth

My recommendations:

Prospect Brewery – Silver Tally (soon to become a local brewery for me – see Oz and James’s trip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZm1C5hrpGs)

Southport Brewery – Golden Sands (award winning)

Phoenix Brewery – Arizona (dry as its name)

Hook Norton – Hooky Gold and Haymaker (though few will beat Shining Light, the beer brewed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of my school – http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/news2010/Shining_Light/Shining_light.html

duckman

Cairngorm Trade Wind; thread closed.

steve-g
    Free Member

Meanwhile back at the St Peters IPA, how long have you guys had this conditioning for? Mine has been bottled for nearly 3 weeks, how long until I should try one?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The beer I like is better than the beer you like because I am better than you.

No?

Sorry, not too sure of the rules of this game…

Stoner
    Free Member

Get thee to the Three Kings Inn in Hanley Castle. Though I visit only once a year (annual apple buying trip)

I visit to look at her moustache.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW: this is a new lcoal brewery
    http://www.cotswoldbrewery.co.uk/index_files/Page436.htm

and my local got a barrel of their Gloucestershire’s Glory 4.1% in the other day. One of the best new beers Ive ever drunk. Massive load of hops. Like drinking pure Alpha Acids! 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I visit to look at her moustache.

It’s good, isn’t it. And the hair.

Haze

steve-g – Member
    Meanwhile back at the St Peters IPA, how long have you guys had this conditioning for? Mine has been bottled for nearly 3 weeks, how long until I should try one?

Should be fine but will improve significantly over the next few weeks.

Go on, crack one open…

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Pale ales – recommendations and places of purchase’ is closed to new replies.