• This topic has 106 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Pale ales – recommendations and places of purchase
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I like sierra nevada (which always seems to be pricey) and had a few nice pale ales from draught in pubs but what do others like and where’s cheap to get them? ta

MrKmkII
    Free Member

brewdog hardcore IPA is great. very strong, but with a slight flavour of lychees (?). not the cheapest, but taaaasty!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Timothy Taylor – Landlords

available in good pubs across the north

john_drummer
    Free Member

Is Landlord a pale ale? I always thought it was a Bitter. Nice though

there are various IPAs (India Pale Ale*) out there, many available from most supermarkets.

Booths’ supermarket has an especially good bottled beer section, if you happen to be in the northwest of England, or Ilkley.

* India Pale Ale was made at home in the UK and shipped out to India for the colonial masters & the troops; to survive the long journey by sea, it had to have a higher alcohol content than typical pale ales of the day; IPAs today are typically nowhere near as strong, although the blend of hops/malt may be close to the original

Garry_Lager

Landlord is a pale ale – probably my favourite as far as mass-produced ale goes.
    Deuchars IPA is surprisingly decent considering it’s everywhere round where I live. Not amazing or anything, but perfectly respectable. It must be robust enough not to require anything special to look after it.

A lot of the pales will really divide opinion according to how you taste the hopps. Under-hopped ale (too sweet) or strong citrus or flowery flavours are not for me (ie if the ale is described as ‘spicy’), although Landlord has a citrus component that I don’t mind.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another vote for deuchers.

ssboggy

This is very nice and fairly strong at 5.5% if you like to brew your own.St Peters IPA
    Got one brewing at the moment 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah i like deuchars, just wondered if folk had any other tipples bit more off the beaten trail

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Landlord is indeed a pale ale.
    I’m going to take a guess that Sierra Nevada pale ale is made with Cascade hops. If so, Copper Dragon do a nice one called Golden Pippin and Saltaire Brewerys Cascade Pale Ale is one of my favourites.

There are a few others, but their names escape me. Anyway, Cascade hops are being used quite alot now in the UK, so look out for that hop on the labels.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers for that!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ah yes – Golden Pippin is indeed lovely.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Try http://www.MyBreweryTap.co.uk for online orders – the owner is a forum lurker too 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Brewdog Punk IPA is also worth a try, from most supermarkets.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Oh. And Marston’s Old Empire, from the home of IPA, Burton on Trent.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’ve never really got on with the Punk IPA – but the Hardcore IPA is totally different. i found the punk to just taste like a really unrefined strong beer – just a horrible syrupy flavour. lots of people would disagree though i’m sure!

Stoner
    Free Member

I live on Wye Valley HPA (Hereford Pale Ale). The finest beer in the world.

Available direct from the website by bottle. Bottle served is passable compared to the barrel, but pour first to let most of the gas out.

nostoc
    Free Member

isn’t all “bitter” pale ale?
    pale meaning not dark like stout, porter or mild.

Stoner
    Free Member

A pale ale ought to be a paler brew. Drier, lighter, more amber.

I agree, some things called Pale Ale, arent. Often northern beers as they have no idea how to make something that doesnt come out like molasses! West country, west of england (Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire/Salopian) and some kentish brewers know how to make a proper dry, hoppy PA 😉

*retires to the flameproof pub*.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

So what about the multi award winning Jaipur from Thornbridge? One of the best current pale ales, from the peak district no less. Magical. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Italian head brewer Stefano Cossi’s

Southerner ^

brewery manager Kelly Ryan, a New Zealander

Southerner ^ 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Made with northern water. 😀

gordimhor

Deuchars for me I like the fact its not too strong by volume must be getting old 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I have no issues with the ingredients. Have you ever tried drinking Youngs? Brewed with London tap water and tastes like it. What’s odd is how Fullers can make ten times better beer from Chiswick water than Youngs can from Wandle water. Possibly less Sloaney piss in it? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Deuchars is almost the only “northern” IPA I do actually really like. Travels very well too, in barrel and bottle.

That and Coniston Bluebird.

EDIT – good point re strength. I dont like beers more than 5.0% which would rule out Jaipur for me except as a tryout beer. I like a dry hoppy 3.6-4% session beer.

aP
    Free Member

Young’s isn’t brewed anywhere near London, after all the brewery is waiting to be turned into apartments.
    Red Squirrel RSX went down nice last night.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Leeds Brewery Pale ale. Only available to buy in casks unless you live near leeds.

Stoner
    Free Member

I confess I havent tried Youngs for about 8 years.
    Where are they now?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Southern shandy puff eh? 😉

Baldysquirt

Thornbridge Jaipur, Castle Rock Screech Owl and Bradfield Brewery Farmer’s Blonde are all great.

Stoner
    Free Member

West of England bitter puff if you dont mind!

Anyway, it’s all rich coming from a Burton Union Muck man! bleugggghhhh! Marstons & Bass = foul ditch water 🙂

lowey
    allthepies
    Free Member

Youngs now brewed in Bedford.

allthepies
    Free Member

Oakham Ales Bishops Farewell – Mmmmmm, try this if you get the chance 🙂

http://www.oakhamales.com/bishopsfarewell.asp

craigxxl
    Free Member

Had a few pints of Jaipur last week very nice and strong too

Stoner
    Free Member

might go and try youngs again then. They went through a phase in the late 90s of being undrinkable IMO. Put me off for life. But if they have different water they may be better now…

br
    Free Member

+1 Marstons Old Empire.

But I did use to prefer a pint of Mild as my first when out for a ‘night’… spot the (older) Northerner

GrahamA
    Free Member

I’m not rally a fan of either Landlord or Deuchars, I’d recommend HPA and Liverpool Pale Ale depending on where you as neither seem to be available that far from the the respective breweries.

HPA is one of the nicest beers I have tried and good reason to do the Rough Ride each year.

onewheelgood

Of the easily available beers Old Empire is my favourite. Otherwise Meantime’s London Pale is good, and their IPA is spectacular but at 7.5% probably a bit heavy for a session.

Gary_C

Had a pint of Windermere Pale in the Hawkshead Brewery yesterday. Very, very nice.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Another vote for Old Empire and Deuchars. A good session IPA is Greene King only 3.6%.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Pale ales – recommendations and places of purchase’ is closed to new replies.