Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pairs racing. Bonty 24. Any thoughts?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I have signed on for the Bonty 24hr race as the weaker of the two riders and we're racing in the pairs category.

I've ridden MM, SITS and a few others but never as the lesser of two riders nor over the full 24hr duration.
    If you have any golden nuggets to impart I would be much obligued!

njee20
    Free Member

Don't sleep or get too comfortable between laps. Keep eating.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have in mind to sleep like a dog between sessions, that's assuming I'm not eating or preparing myself for the next ride.
    Surely there's 12hrs when I'm not riding, but you're advocating not getting particularily comfortable & not sleeping.
    Is there a reason for not catching some Zzzzz ?
    Cheers. Tim

sheldona
    Free Member

As above eat and don't sleep. If you sleep you'll not want to go back out. I think riding pairs @ SITS a few years back was the hardest thing I've done racewise. Good Luck

Ti29er
    Free Member

Thanks.
    I too think piars racing looks to be the hardest category for the majority of riders; that's why I'm worried!
    However I am one those people who can sleep anywhere at any time of the day or night and be awake and mentally on the ball within seconds of being roused.
    One thing I have noticed, now being in my mid 40's is that I definately seem to require more sleep, gone are the days and nights where I could pull all-nighters and be fine for 36hrs (36+ on many, many occations with work especially) with little if any sleep.
    Tim

rolfharris
    Free Member

Don't allow yourself to sleep for more than 30 mins- regardless of your usual habits. Pairs racing is the toughest and really does you over.

Don't over do the energy drinks- use water every other time out.

Use Power Bar Ride Shots and SIS Caffeine gels- I swear to god they make you a faster rider.

Do double laps- more rest between, more chance to get a rhythm and changeovers are less pivotal in a 24hr race.

Have a support team to do stuff- feed you, have stuff ready for you, tell you when to go (I can guaratee that at 3am you won't remember when you're next due out at all and you'll have an angry team mate). They can make pasta and make it a hell of a lot easier.

Don't expect to see your team mate at all.

Being the weaker half is more stressful- I always feel like I let my mate down but we always seem to do OK.

Be prepared to shit 8 times a day for a week after, and all of it through the eye of a needle. You'll also be really grumpy and might puke a bit of blood. (Erm, maybe. That might just be me).

Luke- 2nd Relentless 24hr pairs, 1st Hit the North, 4th 10 Under the Ben, 1st Dawn Raid.

Ti29er
    Free Member

With 2 weeks to go, what's the ideal calendar from today in terms of time-on-the-bike in this coming 7-10 days?Just popping out for a 2.5 or maybe 3hr ride (Sunday from 8pm)
    Thanks

rolfharris
    Free Member

Have a big old rest before, but keep riding this week. Have a gentle spin on Wednesday.

Try any energy products you may be using a few times this week to make sure they don't make you chunder or have any unwanted side effects.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yes, I have the different gels and bars to munch on and know them all of old.
    This last week was a non-starter; I seemed so tired. Even this morning I fell asleep after breakfast for 2.5hrs and then slept 30 mins more after dinner. Not good preparations!
    Tim

phildowling
    Free Member

Racing solo 24 this year again and whilst training hard for the year, i've not been on the bike for a month due to injury. 🙁

I'd try not to stress about it to much it's a great event and the course is great fun and every lap was a pleasure last year (bar the road climb 😥 )
    I'd go for the not sleeping option as its a bugger to get going. IMO pairs harder than solo as i just keep plugging away, it's the stopping that does you 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Do you use post-ride recovery drinks?
    I am using them after every training ride at present but what about on the race as I'm going to be taking in a lot of, and alternating between, a mix of carbo & plain water in my bladder and bottles?

My LED2 Hope lights are only good for 2hrs on absolute max, so I might have to look at a 2nd lighting system too – unless they provide facilities for recharging.

phildowling
    Free Member

Just use your Hope's on the medium setting should be fine. I combine with a Joystick aswell.
    Take the 2nd battery for the Hope's if you got the endurance pack.

Recovery drink wise i do try to but generally feel a bit sick after solo's and 24hours of Torq and peperarmi's 🙄

Brown
    Free Member

In an attempt to fill you with confidence – I find pairs easier than riding in a team.

Ride one lap on, one lap off and keep doing things in between laps – EATING (!), cleaning, sorting kit, getting water etc ready for your partner when they come in. This means you never switch off or really cool down between laps, so each time you go out, you feel fine. (Unlike teams, where I never manage to warm up enough and every lap feels like death.)

BadlyWiredDog

I'd consider using recovery stuff maybe once every two or three stints if you're going to be running doubles, definitely not after every session. Depends a lot on what works for you, as everyone's slightly different. Ditto the sleeping thing, though to be honest, I doubt you'll have much time for that once you've eaten, drunk stuff, sorted kit and the bike etc.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Don't fall asleep, sleep through the alarm, and end up over an hour late for handover. And then come second by half a lap.

Your partner will not let you forget it. Ever.

Pairs is hard, and quite lonely – you're on your own in camp, you're on your own on the course.

Remind we why we've just signed up to do D2D as a pair again??? 😆

Ti29er
    Free Member

Have you tried that Torq L-Carnatine suppliment powder?

I thought last time I gave it a go it gave me wind and slightly jippy tummy but I'm not that sure now.
    I'll try it this week as I have perhaps 4x 3hr sessions left to ride and see if it lives up to its reputation (manufacture's blurb more like!)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pairs racing. Bonty 24. Any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.