Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Painting/Protecting a log cabin
  • kevin1911

Evening all,

We’re about to take delivery of a garden office in the form of a log cabin (read: slightly posher shed) from Dunster House, and could use some advice on what to protect the wood with.

My first thought was Ronseal, but they don’t seem to do many things for the specific job. I’ve been looking at the various Osmo products which look quite good, and should be for the price! Does anyone have any experience of the Osmo products? Anything else I should be considering

Ideally, I’d only have to re-coat it every 4-5 years.

Thanks,
    Kevin

andyl
    Free Member

😆 the Dunster House log cabin advert is on the right!

Why not just ask them what they recommend?

kevin1911

Really? That’s just too spooky. They’ll more than likely tell me to buy what they’re offering at vastly inflated prices (£160!!), but not actually tell me what product it is they’ll supply. Would rather get some real world recommendations.

EDIT: I have a weightwatchers ad to my right. How can they tell I’m a flabby waster through the monitor?

kevin1911

Any of the dayshift shed enthusiasts got any recommendations?

pedlad

I swear by sadolin. Not cheap but after years of good quality u coat and gloss peeling off exterior windows after <18 months I got recommended their superdec opaque wood stain. Still looks great after 5 years on.

thepurist

Jotun’s product range is worth a look (visir/demidekk to preserve the natural look, or coloured ranges) as is Sikkens Cetol. Sadolin retail products are generally available from the DIY sheds, or their higher end stuff from decorating suppliers like Cane Adam.

kevin1911

Thanks guys. Those both look ideal for the job. Can’t decide which one to go for!

mandog

Ronseal wood preserver (fence paint)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Soz- timberheart, you heart may be in the right place – but that there is SPAM!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This won’t be a great deal of help but I used a colourless fungicide/preservative (name I don’t remember) that I was recommended by our local saw mill. It goes on quickly and soaks into the wood to preserve it rather than seal it like a varnish/paint.

Pros – zero flaking and retains the natural colours of the wood.

Cons – difficult to tell when the protective effects are lessening so I need to remember to re-apply it.

More cons – it goes on mammothly quickly – it is almost like water so it just splashes on and soaks in. I just resealed our shed on Sunday – gave it two coats and it took less than an hour.

If you are interested I will look up the name tonight.

I would have considered the Osmo stuff myself (I really like their stuff) but I couldn’t find a clear one and I really didn’t want to colour our wood.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Dur just seen this is a thread resurrection. I guess that there shed is now nice and comfortable in its new sealant 🙂

kevin1911

It’s starting to settle in 🙂 I went for Jotun Demidekk in the end, as it worked out a bit cheaper and lasts for up to 12 years instead of 8. I’ve only done one coat so far, but I’m quite impressed so far.

Will probably use Sadolin on the inside (I’ve not yet fitted the glazing so it should cure ok).

It’s been a steep learning curve, but I’ve really enjoyed it 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Painting/Protecting a log cabin’ is closed to new replies.