Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Painting new plaster
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I need to paint some freshly plastered walls (they’re dry), particularly the bit behind where a new radiator is going to go so we’ve not got bare plaster behind the rad.

What prep should I be doing to the plaster to make things work properly? Do I need some kind of PVA mix?

bearnecessities

Mist coat of 50/50 water & white emulsion (I used Leyland) is all I needed.

..and a radio, kettle & biscuits.

Rubber_Buccaneer

What he ^ said, cheap emulsion diluted.

mrjmt
    Free Member

8)

ta

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Agree with the weak emulsion mix. I’ve used dedicated plaster sealant in the past and it’s horrible stuff to work with, wouldn’t use it again.

duckman

As a plasterer, 50/50 and a couple of coats.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t agree at all – I suggest a 49/51 mix. So much better.

sharkattack

I wish I knew these tips on Wednesday before I spent 8 hours sinking tub after tub of emulsion into an entirely plastered living room and ceiling.

z1ppy

personnally having tried watered down and normal a number of time, I just use normal paint now, as the water down stuff give an uneven coating, meaning you need an extra ‘normal’ coat to get it even again.
    Just my take on it.. never been given a good reason for using water down paint

McHamish
    Free Member

As above…watered down cheap emulsion.

The previous owners hadn’t bothered on the kitchen ceiling, and the old paint just peeled off and left fresh plaster underneath.

From my layman’s understanding, the mist coat will ensure the paint is absorbed and bonded to the new plaster.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bad news for you sharkattack, your paint may not have stuck too well without a mist coat. Don’t start picking at it or you may peel a big chunk off 🙁

sharkattack

Bad news for you sharkattack, your paint may not have stuck too well without a mist coat

Well it’s not my house so erm, not sure how to feel about it!

The old paint came off the ceiling in huge, stiff sheets. Is that what happens if you don’t use a ‘mist coat’?

McHamish
    Free Member

I wish I knew these tips on Wednesday before I spent 8 hours sinking tub after tub of emulsion into an entirely plastered living room and ceiling.

If you used cheap emulsion you might be ok…that has more water in it anyway (that’s why it’s cheap!)

leftyboy
    Free Member

Just did my main bedroom 2 weekends ago, 50/50 mist coat and then 3 coats of white followed by 2 coats of colour!

Our plaster said use 50/50 as she’d used a plaster with a ‘sealant’ in it to prevent any stains/damp showing through.

ferrals
    Free Member

Knock off any snubs, give a light sand to get the plaster film off, mist coat, very light sand, mist again and then paint normally is what I’ve been doing as instructed by a bit of a perfectionist.

I think that dry plaster sucks moisture out of the paint so you need a very wet paint to counteract that for the first couple of coats or the paint dries too quick to bond well.

We’ve had most of our house re plastered over the last 15months so I’m sick to death of doing bloody mist coats!

Edit. I was told if you buy super cheap value emulsion you don’t need to water it down

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Painting new plaster’ is closed to new replies.