Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Painting inside garage
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Painting my garage this weekend, should I just use sandtex?

Its bare brick inside.

Also, roller or brush?

biglee1

I just used white emulsion on my breeze block. I was told later I should have put some pva glue in the paint to stop it soaking into the brick so easily so I needed 2 coats. I used a shaggy pile roller.Do the ceiling as well 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I wallpapered mine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrjmt
    Free Member

ceiling is asbestos, will i die?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Shaggey roller.

Cheap emulsion watered down for a quick first coat, Normal emulsion or sandtex if you prefer

Yes you will die (eventually we all do)

spooky_b329

Definitely seal the surfaces with a watered down paint.

stumpy01

I just used Wickes masonry paint on the inside of my garage. It went on fine, but required two coats – first coat was a bit wishy washy.
    I used a large brush rather than a roller. Only got one wall done so far – too much crap to get out of the way on the other walls!

Marin
    Free Member

Don’t be lazy and always do two coats. I have typed and am correct. End of thread.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine took ages and ages, blockwork and brickwork just soaked it up, was using some left over masonry paint.

biglee1

Didn’t use pva in your paint see for an undercoat 🙂

mrjmt
    Free Member

Ok, so going for watered down emulsion then masonry paint.

How much watered down is watered down roughly?

jonba
    Free Member

Why on earth do you want to paint it?

Personally I’d board it out then paint it if at all. I’d be concerned about damp lifting the paint and it looking patch. At least bare brick looks intentional.

I think you’ve got most of the answers above.

Watering paint down really depends on where you start from. There are people (like me) that spend time getting the consistency of paint right so the balance between application, thixotropy and final appearance is as good as it can be.

I’d say it won’t need much water. You’ll be trying to get it to look like a thick “wash”. You don’t want to go so far as for it to look the same consistency as water but I’m struggling to think of anything to compare it to. My suggestion would be not a lot. Get a separate mixing pot take some paint out. Add a little water mix and see how it goes. You want something to wet the surface easily and soak in but not just drip everywhere. Experimentation is the key.

Prep is key so make sure the surface is free of dust, grease and dirt. Check the temperature (humidity, dew point, and substrate temperature 😉 ) as a lot of paints, particularly water based don’t like <10C. I’m holding off on a few jobs until it warms up.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

25% water (ish)

Chuck some PVA in to if you like. 5 litres is cheap at Screwfix compared to B&Q and it won’t hurt the undercoat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Painting inside garage’ is closed to new replies.