Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Painting fireplace tiles – anyone done it before?
  • spawnofyorkshire

Hi hive mind,

I recently bought a house with some lovely brown 1970’s tiles around the working fireplaces. At some point in the future I’d like to retile them properly but as an interim I was thinking about re painting them
    If you’ve done it what procedure did you undertake and what paint would you recommend?
    thanks

LapSteel
    Free Member

I painted mine with floor paint but I daresay any paint will do. If there likely to get scratched you can sand them down first to take the gloss off. There is also tile paint especially for tiles and I imagine enamel paint would look good and have good durability

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I had brown tiles in my kitchen, I painted them with some Ronseal tile paint and it was very successful. Be aware though that if the tiles have any kind of raised pattern on then that’ll still show though when you paint them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ESP plus any bog standard gloss paint. It may peel off eventually mind

packer
    Free Member

I’ve done it but found it impossible to do without some light brushmarks showing. Looks fine from across the room but can be seen up close which kinda ruins the effect.
    I would do it again but would spray the paint on next time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Painting fireplace tiles – anyone done it before?’ is closed to new replies.