Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Painting a fence with a creeper on it – How?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

the garden fence needs painting / spraying but there is a pretty climbing kiwi plant growing along a large part of it.

I can’t see how I can temporarily remove the kiwi while I paint the fence but I don’t really want to paint the kiwi brown at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Also, what wood treatment?

I have just read the reviews of the sprayable ones from Ronseal and Cuprinol and people are saying they don’t stick well to previously treated fence panels. I have about 40 panels to paint so was hoping a sprayer would make my life easier.

Recommendations please.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

From what I’ve heard about the sprayers, expect everything except the fence to get sprayed!

As for the plant – masking tape and newspaper 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

40 panels – Jesus how big is your garden?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take the climber down or don’t paint the fence

richmars

Just don’t paint it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Green paint?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

40 panels is both sides and the back fence. Not actually that big but still a bl00dy chore

Don’t paint it wins 😉

MartynS

the sprayers only really work if you can take the panel out, lay it down and spray it..

I reckon a big brush will be the way forward! how big is the climber? can you not detach it and paint round it.. or wait until winter when its died back a bit

or don’t paint it…

hels
    Free Member

I have to ask – what the hell is a kiwi plant ?

teef
    Free Member

Cut the plant down – paint the fence – plant regrows next year

Tonolina
    Free Member

Put the job off for a month or so. The Kiwi will loose its leaves for the winter meaning that you are left with a framework of bare stems. You can cut the stems back to make it more managable/easier to paint around. Just remember that it fruits on one year old wood. Go ride.

Shackleton

If you mean it is a Kolomikta actinidia the it is fairly fast growing and the new growth is the prettiest. I’d wait for the leaves to drop, cut it back to a manageable size, tie it up out of the way, paint the fence, tie back in. Might look a bit small for a year but should recover well.

As for paint, it is probably easiest to use whaterver is already on there. With a brush.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Painting a fence with a creeper on it – How?’ is closed to new replies.