Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Painters and decorators, question please…..
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

We moved into our current property about 8 years ago, every room has been repainted with b and q emulsion, but in the kitchen the paint has started to crack and peel, would scrubbing with sugar soap help? Sanding? Is there a primer to prevent it happening again? Or will it keep reappearing, or i could lining paper it and paint that?,
    Àny advise would be appreciated

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Have you got damp? This happened in our rental property and that’s what was up.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

No. It’s not damp, I think it’s because the paint gets greasy in a Kitchen

goldfish24

Paint will peel if the surface it is applied to is not clean. It’s likely the previous decorator/owner did not clean the previous finish enough before applying the paint that’s currently there. Cooking grease going on top of paint will not cause it peel, it’s the grease that was left underneath. This is obviously an easy mistake to make in a kitchen with cooking grease. All that’s really left to do is scrape off what’s there, clean/sand throughly, sugar soap, fresh paint. Others may have better tips of how to remedy but I’ll bet that’s what’s happened.

jonba
    Free Member

Old grease and maybe humidity. Most big manufacturers make tougher kitchen paints which would be ideal. You’d need to clean the walls with sugar soap (or just soap) to degrease then repaint.

You may need to remove the old paint as no matter how well you prepare the surface the adhesion of the paint will only be good onto the existing surface. The original paint may peal off and take the new stuff with it.

teef
    Free Member

repainted with b and q emulsion

Never use own brand paint – try Kitchen specific paint

would scrubbing with sugar soap help? Sanding?

Worth a try

the paint gets greasy in a Kitchen

Fit an extractor

1-shed
    Free Member

I used Aldi caravan cleaner to do our kitchen.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Painters and decorators, question please…..’ is closed to new replies.