Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Painter has done a runner with £600
  • chapps123
    Free Member

I knew a guy that I’ve had work for me before and I trusted him and his work as a painter and decorator. He was painting my flat for me and was half way through the job when he called me and asked very nicely if I could help him out and pay him the £600 as he needed it to put a deposit on a flat that night, he promised me he would finish my work in two days. Being a nice trusting guy (naive) I gave him the money. I haven’t seen him since and won’t answer his phone.

What do I do?

julians
    Free Member

Small claims court,but you probably won’t get your money back for a year or so,plus it’s quite a time consuming and frustrating process.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

You’re stuffed

The best (questionable) advice Id suggest is get a female friend to phone him for a quote and be a bit flirty on the phone with him, when he comes round for the quote at a neutral address give him a bit of a surprise by meeting him with some burly mates and a set of bombers

Good luck

sharkbait
    Free Member

How long ago was this? Have you tried calling from another phone?

chapps123
    Free Member

I tried from the office, He answered and I got a shambling load of excuses and false promises.

chapps123
    Free Member

I’m think that the small claims court might be a good tactic. As the letter dropping on his door matt might be enough to put the wind up him.

trevron73
    Free Member

+1 for sporticus except get the van keys leave the bombers alone for now !

colp

chapps123 – Member
    I tried from the office, He answered and I got a shambling load of excuses and false promises.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Sounds like he’s giving you the brush-off

singletrackmind

paint in his shoes?
    Female accomplice gets him round for quote . Follow him home. Borrow 5 Rugbt forwards then rock up at his new place with your new friends for a swift and amiable closure.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Did you get any kind of receipt?

RustySpanner

chapps123 – Member

So he just glossed over the whole thing?

Sorry. 😐

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Or, as a bit of middle ground, do what sporticus said but instead of any of that nasty assaulty stuff, just block in his vehicle until he remembers where he left his wallet…

project
    Free Member

so was it 600 quid for the whole job, including materials, or you just gave him 600 quid, deduct what hes paid for and done and just ask for the rest back or he finishes the job.

and if he cant pay it back, either small claims or just write it down to experience.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Another phone, call telling him you’re a landlord of around 20 flats looking to arrange regular maintenance and repaainting. Fix up a meeting, block his van in, release on refund.

project
    Free Member

I dont think this will be all black and white,more grey, somebody may be glossing over the material facts,luckily no paint has been spilt on the shag pile .Best to put a lid on it now.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Sounds like a primer c u next tuesday

chapps123
    Free Member

I now know he is a prime c**k. Sad thing is I actually thought he was a ‘friend’…..Hence that’s why I paid him. Moral of the story-Trust nobody.

colp

So, he’s basically varnished with your money?

chapps123
    Free Member

With the job half done. Yes.

chapps123
    Free Member

ah varnished, get it. Bring em on….

colp

Have dulux in the phone book? See where he lives?

colp

I’ll get me (second) coat.

chapps123
    Free Member

colp, scraping the barrel now.

m0rk
    Free Member

He must be rollering in money now

colp

I know mate, but I’m satin doing nothing so might as well think of crap puns.

njee20
    Free Member

He really has treated you like a door matte.

Don’t gloss over this.

chapps123
    Free Member

You’re making me feel more cheerful anyway. Thanks for the crap jokes.

colp

No worries. Remember, life is dust sheet sometimes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to be more assertive, it’s no use treading on eggshell. Maybe get to think about how what he’s done has affected your family/health, you know a bit of emulsional blackmail.

Xylene
    Free Member

I think people are going a bit soft these days.

Have a look in the back of soldier of fortune magazine, you should be able to hire a merc or a hit-man from there fairly easily.

It might not get your money back, but it will certainly make you feel better.

jamj1974

[video]http://youtu.be/6hdW_b6M6bM[/video]

colp

Well, a painter can’t work without his equipment.
    Ring him and say If he doesn’t give you the money back, you’ll take steps.

senorj

Colp,I don’t think you’re taking the op’s predicament in the white spirit.

hora
    Free Member

Sounds like hes got gambling or money issues? Did you give him the keys at any point? Sorry to make your paranoid.

On the bright side(?)- hes not run off with £600 at the start of the job. So you’ve got at least half of it done if you need to rehire.

In general (O/T) if a tradesman asks me for money upfront ‘for materials’ I assume he isn’t that busy (i.e good) if hes got cashflow issues.

chakaping
    Free Member

Grab him in the street and trestle him to the ground.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Is he solvent?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Johnathan Ross says, “Don’t let him get away with it – that’s the white spirit”

hooli

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Its the online portal for the small claims court and is a very easy and cost effective way of doing it.

Regardless of it taking time and effort (which I found minimal when I used it TBH) I would make the effort to get the money back on principle. He will also pay the fees when and if the case goes your way.

hora
    Free Member

Agree +1

It’ll be a whitewash

neilthewheel

I’m reading this thread with mixed emulsions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Painter has done a runner with £600’ is closed to new replies.