Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Paint stripper needed…any tips for some old school less safe stuff?
  • rob1984p
    Free Member

I have an old Heckler that I want to make super shiny and need to get the paint / powder off before getting to work with papers, buffers, etc.

I seem to remember that a few years ago they took the dichloromethane out of Nitro Mors and made it all elf n safety. Using old Nitro Mors I managed to a couple frames a few years ago but had no luck with modern stuff.

By the looks of things (youtube) I can buy and use neat dichloromethane, but it is pretty thin if I am thinking of the right stuff. Anyone got any better ideas? I think blasting is out of the question as I assume it will leave a somewhat rough surface which will be a pain to get to the desired finish.

I know I should take it to a powdercoaters and forget this silly notion but I like a challenge.

Other thought, a door stripping place?

I’m in Sheffield so there’s bound to be a solution hiding in plain sight.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

get aerocoat.net to do a powder coat in chrome colour looks the nuts and far easier than polishing dude

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d try a hot air gun first. Sometimes it’ll just peel off in clumps. Much easier.

jonba
    Free Member

Nitromors still works reasonably well*. Personally I wouldn’t add in the DCM (or use DCM on its own) without proper controls in place as it is fairly nasty stuff.

Nitromors the main frame then heat gun the fidly bits.

*We use it at work to clean and it can strip a 2k epoxy/polyamide coating off eventually.

Euro
    Free Member

found this stuff to be much more effective than Nitromors

BlackFriar

woodsman
    Free Member

auto body materials suppliers will have some strong stuff

spacehopper

i used b and q paint stripper on the rear end of old heckler, which had some god awful and really hard to remove plastikote type stuff on it..

I had the rest of the frame sodablasted.. but it was going to take too long and thus cost megabucks to remove the plastikote stuff..

Ive since used the BnQstripper on quite a few other things too. It just takes longer to be effective.. i left it on for about 24 hours and kept reapplying / agitating it where needed and it came off just as well as the old nitromors eventually.

and as a bonus.. didnt stink and destroy anything else it touched like the old style stuff..

ryderredman
    Free Member

I seem to remember theres some really nasty looking green goo you can get that you leave on then scrape the paint off

Baznav
    Free Member

Por 15 Por-Strip From Frost auto Restoration top stuff, use it to get the paint off shimano bb cups so I can anodize them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Paint stripper needed…any tips for some old school less safe stuff?’ is closed to new replies.