Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Paint matching from CMYK code – where and how?
  • a11y

Looking for touch up paint for my bike. Manufacturer has supplied me with the CMYK info – I’ve searched but can’t find anywhere that can use this to make me up some paint.

I’ve tried converting this to RGB but even that doesn’t seem to help.

2016 Genesis High Latitude if that matters, kind of but colour.

Any suggestions/ideas?

ffej
    Free Member

There’s a tool here that might be able to convert it to something paint friendly.
    As you’ve no doubt found, RBG isn’t generally used in the paint industry (mixing light and mixing paint don’t work the same way!).
    If you can get it to a RAL colour, then you may be in with more of a shout for getting paint of the right type mixed.

Jeff

AlexSimon

Why the heck would they be supplying CMYK!?
    How very odd

AlexSimon

I’d probably go via Pantone as CMYK to Pantone is available online.

zilog6128

Not possible – the person supplying you the info clearly doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about unfortunately! Can you ask to speak to someone else?

tillydog
    Free Member

You’re probably best taking the bike to an auto paint supplier and using their ‘chips’ (painted samples) to find a match. (You need to do the matching outdoors, so go on a dry day.)

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got a bike described as ‘pure process blue’ so obviously this does happen. Bike had been powder coated so it was probably actually RAL something or other.

CMYK is at least additive, RGB is a subtractive model completely unsuited to describing colours not on monitors.

I imagine comparing a CMYK chip under a diffuse true daylight source with chips painted in the available colours would be the most accurate match, although you could use a conversion service to get from CMYK to whatever system the paint is produced in but you’re going to get inaccuracies at every stage. Beware drydown. Wet paint and dry paint are never the same colour, and gloss vs matte has quite an impact too, as do dissimilar viewing lights and different people. Be aware paint changes colour with age often, so actual frame may be better if less convenient than CMYK chips.

Actual outdoor daylight as suggest by Tillydog would obviously be fine also.

a11y

Hmm, why would Genesis supply me with the CMYK info? Odd.

“Morning Ally,

Thanks for getting in touch. Closest we can give you is a CMYK code – hope that helps!

C100
    M40
    Y0
    K36

James@Genesis”

Might just take the bike to a supplier as per above posts, sounds easiest. Thanks folks 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m going to guess designer chooses CMYK in cad, frame builder colour matches and supplies samples, designer signs off on it. Designer never uses RAL code.

As above any decent paint shop will be able to match- it might be v. Expensive if they have to buy paint in. It might be. Water value to have it repainted and get touch up pot at the time.

AlexSimon

Yes, easiest in the flesh probably.
    This might be a good starting point:

a11y

Thanks for that AlexSimon – the lighter ones aren’t far off the mark.

AlexSimon

Your photo makes it look much lighter and more saturated than the supplied CMYK tbh (which is what gave those RALs).

Good luck!

Morgan
    Free Member

It may also be known as “Grabber Blue” – there are several touch-up paints available under that name.

geoffj

I had an old Nova in a similar shade known as China blue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Paint matching from CMYK code – where and how?’ is closed to new replies.