Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pain in the *rse
  • dazh

Physios/doctors, IANADS and non-physios to the forum please.

For the past few months I’ve been suffering, quite literally, from a pain in the arse. In the left leg in particular. It comes on after about 10mins of riding and feels like a tightening of the upper part of my hamstring and travels deep into the buttock. Sometimes it goes away once warmed up, others it persists to the point where sitting on the saddle is uncomfortable. It also brings with it a noticeable lack of power when pedalling, particularly when seated, but also out of the saddle.

Anyone had this? How’d you sort it (yes I know, go to a physio etc…)? My current theory is piriformis syndrome and non-active glutes. I’m doing plenty of glute and hamstring stretches, but it’s not making much difference. Also I’ve had back problems in the past (bulging disc/facet joint inflammation), so no doubt that’s related.

Any advice/personal experiences gratefully received. Also if anyone knows the names of physios with cycling specific experience in the northwest feel free to send me names.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I suffer from the same thing – its pressure on a nerve.
    Changing to an ISM saddle helped massively.
    Use the guides to work out which one you need.

The exercise you’ll get from a physio will be pigeon pose, lunge and reverse lunge (where your foot goes up the wall).
    All except the pigeon(this is the first one you do and is to stretch the glute) are done with the glutes being tightened and back relaxed to stretch out the hip flexors.
    2-4mins with contract for 5s and relax into the stretch for 10s.

LoCo
    Free Member

Will all stem from the back issue, tight hip muscles passing down into leg, weak glutes and subsequent knee/leg instability, is your foot ‘rolling’ too?

Sounds quite similar to the problems I’m having atm, go a see a physio get specfic exercises etc.

Nothing ‘online doctors’ can do for you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you been sniffing Chloroform?

My mate let me try some but it smelled funny and made my bum sore.

dazh

It never ceases to amaze me how many people find it impossible to talk about arses without bringing sodomy into it. Is it a uniquely British thing or is this a global phenomenon?

Loco, don’t think I have foot ‘rolling’ although I’m not exactly sure what that is. Pigeon pose and lunges seem like a good harmless place to start. I’ll go and see a physio when I’ve found a good one. I was also thinking of getting a proper bike-fitting done. Anyone used this place?

SaxonRider

is this a global phenomenon

Yep. Pretty global. 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

is this a global phenomenon

Yep. Pretty global.

My arse! I’ll be buggered if that’s true. 😉

It never ceases to amaze me how many people find it impossible to talk about arses to their doctor without bringing sodomy random internet strangers into it.

dazh

PP have you seen how long it takes to get a GP appointment these days? They’re far too busy dealing with all the hypochondriac health service ‘consumers’ to deal with my irrelevant and entirely self inflicted complaint. You’re not actually suggesting I go see my GP are you?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’re not actually suggesting I go see my GP are you?

It’s a long shot, i’ll admit, but it might just work.

Failing that, it’s back to the bumming jokes…. 🙂

seadog99
    Free Member

Are you sure its not just plain old sciatica, sounds like it to me especially with your spine history.

Google McKenzie Back Exercises and see if that helps any.

seaDog

dazh

Are you sure its not just plain old sciatica, sounds like it to me especially with your spine history.

Possibly, but it doesn’t feel like the sort of nerve pain I’ve had before, although with my back issues I wasn’t really affected too much with sciatica, it was more of the crippling muscle cramps variety than referred pain down my legs. Also there was a definite ‘knot’ in the muscle. I tried doing the sitting on a tennis ball thing the other night which seems to have helped so maybe I’m onto something. I’ve got the McKenzie book BTW, didn’t have much success with that.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Physio is where you need to be….but piriformis issues are related to biking and results in a pain in the butt….

mrsfry
    Free Member

I had pain, turns out my saddle was wonky (nothing to do with my weight) and it put pressure on one side. Kind Evans sorted it out for me

brennak

I’ve used Physiotherapies opposite Lidl not far from your place and they have sorted me out over the years. All that pain you wouldn’t believe it as you disappear into the distance

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pain in the *rse’ is closed to new replies.