Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pain in lateral quads hillwalking
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Did a short steep walk today, about two hours or so. Within ten mins of descending I started getting very sharp cramplike pains in both legs pretty much from the knee up to the hip, it almost had me crippled it was so sore and it’s stayed sore all afternoon since. It’s the first time thats happened and has left me wondering what on earth is is.

Can it really be just some muscles that don’t get used in the same way biking and cramping badly on a walk? I should be more than happy running up and down a hill, not reduced to hobbling down grimacing in pain!

Stoner
    Free Member

when you’re hill running do you descend leaning forward and “attacking” down the hill, or do you lean back and stutter down?

The former uses pretty much the same muscles as running on the flat, the latter will be using different muscles. When you walk down a steep hill for a long period youre using those quads to arrest you. If you dont do similar when running then those muscles wont be as developed.

And theyre not really muscles youre using when running or on the bike. I do big hill walks now and then but not enough to train my muscles and I can really hurt after some steep descents (that night/day after/second day) espec if at the end of the day.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hi stoner… it’s just a walk that had me virtually in tears today! Madness. Maybe it is just a case of not using them much and I’d need a little time on the hills before planning something bigger. I get the eccentric muscle action thing but just can’t accept I’m not capable of just doing it like I feel I should be!

I was cursing under my breath for a big bike all the way down…

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon for most people, even normally fit people who ride regularly, can find batches of muscles that just arent up to the job when you have a crack at something different.

It could be swinging a sledgehammer for 12 hours, or even painting ceilings with a roller for a few days solid. You find muscles that just arent in use daily enough to be ready for exceptional use.

And IMO walking a tired body down a long steep hill at the end of the day is one of the worst for cracking you open.

boblo
    Free Member

I get this if I do a lot of biking then have a lay off for a couple of days then walk or run. Usually only a problem descending. If this describes your symptoms, you’re not alone….

Exercise induced rhabdomyolysis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pain in lateral quads hillwalking’ is closed to new replies.