• This topic has 24 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pain down each side of Achilles when stretching ??
  • renton
    Free Member

I am currently getting a sharp pain down either side of my Achilles when I try and stretch off my calf muscle. Also get it of I raise my toes up with a straight leg.

It doesn’t feel like it’s my Achilles tendon but definitely either side with more pain towards the outside.

Pushing with my fingers I am unable to locate the pain or reproduce it ?

Any ideas.

??

shermer75
    Free Member

What have you been up to recently? Eg running, cycling more than usual, home from road cycling to cx, anything like that?

renton
    Free Member

Nope absolutely nothing different at all.

Trying to stretch again and most if not all of the pain is to the outside of my Achilles just above the heel pad ?

shermer75
    Free Member

New shoes? Put on weight? Pregnant?

craigxxl
    Free Member

The tendon under your foot, Plantar Fasciitis, I found stretching holding a strap around the foot, straightening your leg and pulling on the straps worked.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can you really stretch fascia? I mean is there any evidence that what you do to it changes any of its properties for any useful period of time?

Also – why would you want to?

shermer75
    Free Member

So you can have flat feet?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why would you want flat feet?

Psst the purpose of the plantar fascia is to make the feet not flat amongst other things.

shermer75
    Free Member

No, you don’t want flat feet. That’s the point of the gag.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not really sure. I was given the exercise to do when I got pains in the heel, Achilles’ tendon and calves that would ease off. The exercises worked very well and I can only describe as a stretch.

PePPeR

I had this recently, then suddenly sprinted for something and tore my Tendon, its been 8 weeks so far and it hasn’t healed up properly!

You micro tear the Achilles tendon over time leading it to hurt on the sides!

Achilles Tendonitis – Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment

Best thing I’ve found to help has been the sports tape down my calf and around my heel in a straight line, it has helped no end.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve had plantar in the same foot before and it doesn’t feel like that at all. I’ve got no pain in the arch of my foot that you would get with plantar.

This is on the outside of my Achilles.

I get no pain when running unless I physically change my gait to heel striking.

I get the pain when stretching my calfs by dropping heels off the back of a step or by raising my toes with my leg locked out.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You have small muscles that run down the sides of your achilles – it’s potentially those that are giving you some stick. You could try massaging them and see if that gives you any joy, or you could look up some ankle stability and strengthening exercises.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well firstly keep stretching gently, a little massage too. I’ve had plenty of muscle issue with calves form playing sports on astro turf. It sounds to me like a muscle strain issue. Chnaged your shoes recently, had a price muddy ride etc ?

DT78
    Free Member

I get this occasionally. For me it is down to ankling. (Stretching for the pedal). Nearly always I’ve changed something, saddle too high, cleats too far forward, new shoes, shoes not tight enough or old shoes (so heel lifts).

Heel lifts on a step, sorting out the ankling and not pushing hard for a week or so seems to sort it.

surfer
    Free Member

mancankylung is expert on this so I would follow his advice.

I have suffered with Peroneal pain for a couple of years which after treatment from an un-qualified sports masseur is now manageable.

If you feel the need to stretch make sure you do it post activity and not pre.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP just to make things even more complicated, stretching can be quite specific. I used to do lots of stretching inc Yoga and was then told by a sports physio that that wasn’t good for me as I was too flexible (loose) and I should focus on smaller movements like with a “wobble board”

DrP

I went on an interesting foot and ankle conference last year..
    Essentially, the crux was that all heel/foot conditions (plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinitis etc etc) are due to tight calf/hamstrings.

Stretching the back of the leg it paramount to improving the heel/sole symptoms.

I tell my patients to make a ‘slope board’ (raising the toes) to stand on when brushing teeth etc, so slowly stretch the back of the leg.
    I was sceptical, but all have given great feedback.

I MUST make myself one – i have the tightest hamstrings!

DrP

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I tell my patients to make a ‘slope board’ (raising the toes) to stand on when brushing teeth etc, so slowly stretch the back of the leg.

Good idea that, but it how does it stretch hamstrings or any other muscles which just cross the knee joint?

surfer
    Free Member

I would love to see the evidence for stretching but so much is just anecdotal. I am not anti stretching, if it worked I would do it. In my opinion “mobility” is the key. At 51 I couldnt sprint 50 metres from cold to save my life, this is not a good thing!
    After a few minutes of ankle rotations, “moving” around on the spot etc (just generally limbering up) I can start to run very slowly. After a few minutes I could easily run a 5 minute mile and my muscles and joints feel very limber.
    I think what is a bit irritating is that “stretching” is trotted out as a cure for every running related injury.

DrP

The theory is the plantar fascia is ‘continuous’ with the achilles etc
    So dorsiflexing (pointing the toes towards the head) will stretch all the structures on the back of the leg. This in turns straightens the knee past zero degrees (we have up to minus 10 degrees flexion of the knee, i.e it straightens past straight) which helps the hamstrings I suppose..

DrP

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Hmmm, as a physio, I’m not so sure that 10 degrees of knee extension is going to do much on a practical level for hamstring length. If it works though, go for it.

DrP

No doubt its focus is for the calf/foot…

It’s just for me, my hams are SOOOO tight that i have to start somewhere!
    The wife thinks I’m larking about when I struggle to straight leg raise past 50 degrees…seriously!

DrP

(Didn’t realise you were a PT – forgive the layman descriptions above!)

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Try doing some stretches in the bath or take up a sport that needs flexibility.

DrP

..or take up a sport that needs flexibility.

That’s the biggie..
    Now I mostly cycle, I’m stuck getting tighter and tighter hams…

I need to go back to yoga at home (hurt too much so I stopped…)

This thread can be seen as my motivation to try again!

DrP

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pain down each side of Achilles when stretching ??’ is closed to new replies.