Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pain Cave Flooring
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Turbo is setup in the garage which has standard concrete floor. I want some form of rubber matt to go under turbo.

Has anyone used those rubber tiles? Do they work well in this situation. Did you use the ones with patterns on or plain? Any cheaper alternatives?

wwaswas

Get the £10 interlocking ones from Halfords. Use two layers if you want a bit more give.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve done my garage floor with these from Big Dug. 14mm thick and they’re excellent.

You can buy edging so can make a nicely finished area to sit the turbo on.

trailwagger
    Free Member

SO they stay together ok then? And don’t lift at the joins?

weeksy

keeping them together is fine, it’s the sweat though, i use a gym mate which is like a full on plastic coating and doesn’t absorb the sweat, just pools it and then i mop it up with rags etc.

legend
    Free Member

For those using rubber tiles: paint the floor before laying them? Or just put them straight down onto the concrete?

Speshpaul

off cut of cheap vinyl flooring, wipe clean! you could always but it over the matting or some carpet underlay

trailwagger
    Free Member

keeping them together is fine, it’s the sweat though, i use a gym mate which is like a full on plastic coating and doesn’t absorb the sweat, just pools it and then i mop it up with rags etc.

Surely that’s better than anything absorbent? It would get pretty stinky after a few weeks I would of thought.

Gary_M
    Free Member

SO they stay together ok then? And don’t lift at the joins?

The ones I’ve linked to don’t lift at all, they’re solid – I have a car parked on mine. My floor was painted previously but there’s no need to.

infidel
    Free Member

I use a rubber stable floor mat. Only con is that it’s bloody heavy to move!

lunge

I currently use a cheap yoga matt, I stole mine of my wife but they’re about £5 new from places like TK Maxx.

ransos
    Free Member

The ones I’ve linked to don’t lift at all, they’re solid – I have a car parked on mine. My floor was painted previously but there’s no need to.

How do you cut them to size? Stanley knife?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How do you cut them to size? Stanley knife?

Possible I guess but I used an angle grinder. I don’t get a chance to use it much and it’s so much fun to use 🙂

Fagus
    Free Member

My turbo lives in the garage. It’s on a piece of old carpet. Does the job fine.
    Sweaty, stinky smell? The garage is full of funny smells so one more is not noticed.

weeksy

Surely that’s better than anything absorbent? It would get pretty stinky after a few weeks I would of thought.

Yes, that’s why i use it 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why do you need any form of mat, just curious?

You are using a fan?

weeksy

FunkyDunc – Member

You are using a fan?

In a Zwift race i’ll drop almost 2kg of sweat in an hour long race. There’s a massive puddle of sweat beneath the bike along with my clothing which goes from lightweight to heavy ! Plus the sweat towel….

trailwagger
    Free Member

You are using a fan?

Yes I am using a fan. Not sure why you ask.

As for the matt, its to protect the feet of the turbo and the front wheel block and stop them moving around on the concrete. It may reduce vibrations/noise also but that’s a bonus as its just me in there and the noise doesn’t travel to the rest of the house anyway

hedley
    Free Member

You are using a fan?

Even with a fan on full blast in the middle of winter there will be a puddle of sweat that needs mopping up afterwards.

I use the Halfords foam mats. 3 are all I need to cover the area under the turbo.

jkomo

Sounds awful.

ransos
    Free Member

Possible I guess but I used an angle grinder. I don’t get a chance to use it much and it’s so much fun to use

🙂

Come to think of it, I have a jigsaw and a blade for laminate floors, so that would probably work. Do you need to leave an expansion gap or can it go right up to the wall?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I used the edging strips and went right to the wall. Fortunately my garage was the exact width of x number of tiles plus an edging strip each side.

Edging strips aren’t really needed but it was either that or buy more tiles and trim them down to fit the gap.

My garage was painted concrete before and these have made a massive difference to comfort and warmth. Plus it looks amazing 🙂

downhillfast
    Free Member

lunge –
    I currently use a cheap yoga matt, I stole mine of my wife.

Same here (but from my girlfriend as your wife couldn’t find hers… ).
    I’m upgrading to a new mat after Christmas as surely there’ll be yet another unused yoga mat going free 🙄

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pain Cave Flooring’ is closed to new replies.