Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pain around metal plate in leg
  • rjj
    Free Member

Hi,

About a year ago I broke my hip and had a metal plate and screws put in to fix it. Been fine all year (bit sore and other problems due to muscle wastage in knee) but over the last day or so when the temperature has dropped it has started to play up a bit. Aching, random sudden sharp pain. I did read that the cold could make it a bit achy but I have really noticed it. Anyone got any advice/experience/comments?

Cheers,

Richard

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Mine does it too. I have Cannulated hip screws. Unfortunately its just a case of living with it i think. Only way they’d take mine out is if i need a Total Hip Replacement. But i wont need that till I’m at least 60.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Get in touch with whoever did it and see if they’ll take the metalwork out.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Exactly what wanman said. Speak to the consultant. Mine wont take my metal work out. But even fractures that didn’t have metal work in still ache in the cold.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Cold and heat can cause discomfort.

As well as awkward movements.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

What Procedure did you have done? From what I can gather they only remove metal work if it needs revision, causing infection or if you need a Total Hip Replacement or a Hemiarthroplasty.

singlesteed
    Free Member

What he said ^

mattsccm
    Free Member

I had my tibia plated 32 years ago. The metal stayed in for 18 months. Leg/scar arches in the cold.
    Funnily enough, just 10 minutes ago I dug out the plate for some reason. Nice bit of steel about6 inches long with 6 torx screws. Must be good for something.

leeph
    Free Member

I Have similar problems with metal work in my ankle, told by my consultant it’s a bigger job to take out than to but in.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Its even better watching the metal work go in. Loved going into Theatre to watch Orthopaedic surgery as a Student.

Northwind

Mine isn’t plated, just bolted, gives me quite a bit of gyp and pain but all manageable (*) and it seems like getting them out can be bad juju so, every couple of years I sit down with my consultant and we umm and ahh about it, so far we’ve left them in (I think if I pushed for them out, they’d be out)

(* and I do totally use it as an excuse. Oh Andrew, why are you being such a **** today? Ah sorry, bad pain day. Oh you poor thing, by all means keep being a ****.)

wwaswas

I had cannulated screws for a femoral neck break.

Removed 2 years later and no problems since.

Biggest problem I had was the heads stuck out a bit and I was constantly catching my thigh muscles between them and hard surfaces/corners.

sajama55
    Free Member

Bust my leg at hip 24 years ago metalwork still in TI plate and bolts .No problems, even fell on same leg 4 years ago and cracked a small section of bone but the leg was OK. Said the repair would be stronger than other leg .

Drac

Yup mine aches in the cold and occasionally other times. It’s been in for about 23 years now since mine was fitted, I have arthritis in it too. Mine was because I had a bone tumour removed when I was 18.

duncancallum

Glad it’s not just me. My new hips been sore. I got a bit before when I just had the meccano, but I was knackered any way.

I was getting worried

rjj
    Free Member

Seems I will just have to live with it. I had an undisplaced extra-capsular break. I only saw my consultant once after the op and he signed me off within five minutes after seeing the x-ray. Been having private physio on my leg for the past five months to build muscle etc up but I still seem a long way off getting back to how I used to be..

wanmankylung
    Free Member

RJJ – just get back on your bike and start riding the thing to get your hip moving. Then just be thankful that you’r not old. The outcome for old people and broken hips is frighteningly bad. A big chunk of them die within 6 months.

duncancallum

The by all means pm me. I got my new hip in 12 months ago after a smash 7 years ago.

I find I am probably fitter now as I take mtb more seriously due to how much I missed it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pain around metal plate in leg’ is closed to new replies.