Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Paedophile priests – an explanation
  • Cougar

Why are so many Catholic priests abusing young boys? Cardinal Raymond Burke, former contender for being Pope, has explained. It’s because they allowed women into the Church.

http://www.neonnettle.com/news/2359-catholic-church-women-are-to-blame-for-pedophile-priests

Serving mass is a “manly” job argues the Irish American Cardinal, as he claims that the participation of women and girls into the daily life of the church has a chilling effect on priests, causing them to turn to “immoral and unpriestly vocations” such as “abusing minors”.

Good grief.

wwaswas

He’ll be back next week suggesting using the ducking stool to find the women causing priests to abuse children.

thehustler
    Free Member

I think its more the ‘abstinence’ from woman needed an alternative outlet

jimdubleyou

I should be shocked by this, but I’m not.

It’s all a bit Handmaids Tale…

whitestone
    Free Member

How does that explain the historical allegations and incidents?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I want to emphasize that the practice of having exclusively boys as altar servers has nothing to do with inequality of women in the Church.

Its impossible to defend this drivel.

“feminised” men abused children due to radical feminism

TBH i see why he finds the Bible so credible if he believes shit like this

The Catholic churches great failing was not that it has them[ they are in all walks of life] it is that it covered them up and left them in positions where they could abuse again. They chose to protect the reputation of the church rather than its children

Given this is it any wonder the number of parents willing to leave their kids in the service of the church dropped?

Blaming women for this is frankly nuts

DezB
    Free Member

Well, that’s one website I won’t be visiting again in a hurry 🙁

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

He’s in an organisation which revolves around worshipping a magic man in the sky, lets not assume the line between sanity and insanity is drawn in quite the same place for these guys.

Pyro

I thought this was going to be a Misty’s Big Adventure reference.

Sadly not.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6GrUytR-sE[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

A friend who was one of the founders of the Movement for Married Clergy tells me that intellectually the battle is won and the way is open. Politically however it’s still a dream as the Cardinals are so conservative.

stevextc
    Free Member

as he claims that the participation of women and girls into the daily life of the church has a chilling effect on priests, causing them to turn to “immoral and unpriestly vocations” such as “abusing minors”.

Hmmm… so creating a job with the over-riding job requirement of “not being interested in adult women” can’t have anything to do with this.

Next they’ll be telling us a virgin mysteriously gave birth.

jimdubleyou

it’s still a dream as the Cardinals are so conservative.

That’s a very polite way of putting it!

IHN

Next they’ll be telling us a virgin mysteriously gave birth

Mary wasn’t a virgin (in the never had nookie Sense). Interesting fact; in the translation of the bible way back in the day from the original Hebrew to Greek, the Hebrew word for ‘young girl’ was translated to the Greek word for ‘virgin’, which was then later translated into the Latin workd for ‘virgin’, and so the misconception (pardon the pun) started.

But yeah, he sounds like a well-rounded thinker.

ElVino

I’d argue that people who had these urges gravitated towards roles which allowed them power over and access to children. In some countries Ireland in particular this was the priesthood in other countries it seems to be Children’s entertainer and sports coaches

SaxonRider

The Catholic churches great failing was not that it has them[ they are in all walks of life] it is that it covered them up and left them in positions where they could abuse again. They chose to protect the reputation of the church rather than its children

Thank you for saying this, Junkyard. I often get aggravated when people talk about the Church as being some kind of foster home for paedophiles, considering that they can be found in all walks of life – and especially institutions that focus on the young and vulnerable. What is, and has been, so despicable, is how it has been covered up at the expense of the victims. There simply is no excuse.

As for what Burke said, above, words fail me.

martinhutch

Man wearing frock complains about feminisation.

BigJohn

If the priesthood is not open to the majority of the male population who wish to spend their lives in a relationship with a woman, why are we surprised that a significant proportion of priests have unconventional sexual appetites?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I read shit like this (and the general inane, ignorant, mean-mouthed dreck in just about every comment feed everywhere about anything) – and realise that human ‘progress’ is either a complete myth or else too slow to see it grow.

Definitely too slow to ever cope with the exponentially-increasing negative effects of the ecological and environmental shitstorm we’re unleashing. Yet this Catholic stuff is like some dark medieval Monty Python satire come to life. Sorry, but reading this just felt like someone crapped in my head for the last possible time, and now it’s leaking out of my eyes.

Shut the priests down. Just shut their shop.

Cougar

My thoughts exactly, well said.

Mary wasn’t a virgin (in the never had nookie Sense). Interesting fact; in the translation of the bible way back in the day from the original Hebrew to Greek, the Hebrew word for ‘young girl’ was translated to the Greek word for ‘virgin’, which was then later translated into the Latin workd for ‘virgin’, and so the misconception (pardon the pun) started.

It’s interesting you should say that, as I believed this to be the case also (though I thought it meant pure or virtuous rather than specifically “young girl”). I mentioned it on one of the previous religion threads and was informed in the replies that I was wrong.

tinybits
    Free Member

It makes complete sense to me.

As in, anyone who’s prepared to believe in the Catholic* faith seems totally capable of this level of utter idiocy.

*insert religion of choice here

CountZero

Next they’ll be telling us a virgin mysteriously gave birth.

Well, a hamster did give birth to a Jaguar…

piemonster

Although I find this article easy to believe there are reports that Neon Nettle is a purveyor of fake news.

Is there any corroboration of the statement?

Unless I’m missing something obvious which is likely as I’m quite exhausted.

Cougar

Oh, is there? Apologies if so, I didn’t fact-check. Mia culpa.

jimjam
    Free Member

In my youth people were sent off to the seminary if they didn’t fit in. Whether they were introverted, disinterested in “normal” pursuits, particularly if they showed some type of effeminate mannerism or behavior. I knew two fairly blatantly gay guys (or certainly non binary) who were basically forced to join.

One later became a woman, but that’s another story.

I realise this is very sketchy ground, but I can imagine how a young man who hasn’t been allowed to develop a normal sexuality, who then finds himself in a position of extreme power over punescent boys or girls might end up using that as a sexual outlet.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Isn’t this story 2 years old, and led to Burke basically getting a non-role desk job when the Pope learned about it?

Edit: yes, it is:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/american-cardinal-raymond-leo-burke-blames-paedophile-priests-on-radical-feminists-9973240.html

No excuses mind.

gordimhor

Some basic googlefu reveals several other sites such as the Catholic Herald, Huffington Post or USNews
    reporting that Cardinal Burke did make these comments in 2015

gordimhor

+1

piemonster

Yes, the above posts would provide corroboration

stevextc
    Free Member

and so the misconception (pardon the pun) started

Is this where the word mis-conception cums from ??

jamj1974

If the priesthood is not open to the majority of the male population who wish to spend their lives in a relationship with a woman, why are we surprised that a significant proportion of priests have unconventional sexual appetites?

Because not wanting a sexual relationship with a woman doesn’t equate to being a peadophile?

Cougar

I think perhaps the inference is that they do want a sexual relationship with women, choose to deny themselves that luxury, and so then find themselves other outlets.

Whether that’s actually true or not, I’ve no idea.

Cougar

I wonder idly how this correlates statistically with anal sex in prisons between otherwise straight men. But then, there’s something wrong with my brain.

gordimhor

It’s not really a comparison is it Cougar. Some priests are in denial about their desire ( see what I did there) to have sex with a woman or women.
    Prisoners are not in denial but have that opportunity withheld from them.

Basil

I think people need to realise that these are not people of faith who have abused children. What happens is men who want to abuse children look for careers, jobs, hobbies and oppertunity to gain positions of access and control over children e.g. running childrens homes, scout masters, teaching etc.

Cardinal Burke is obviously an asshat resolved not addressing the issue

sirromj

Well, that’s one website I won’t be visiting again in a hurry

OMG you’re Illuminati!?

Cougar

It’s not really a comparison is it Cougar. Some priests are in denial about their desire ( see what I did there) to have sex with a woman or women.
    Prisoners are not in denial but have that opportunity withheld from them.

They’re both prevented from having sex, one by their faith and the other by their incarceration. So, priests too have that opportunity withheld from them, they’re not choosing to be celibate directly but rather they’re choosing a lifestyle which mandates that they have to be and are (at least theoretically) willing to make that sacrifice for the greater good even if they don’t really want to. It’s not “I don’t want sex therefore I’ll become a priest,” rather “I want to become a priest therefore I can’t have sex.”

(And yes, I appreciate the celibacy thing is an oversimplification for the sake of argument)

Cougar

I think people need to realise that these are not people of faith who have abused children.

Even if there’s some truth in that, I think you need to acknowledge that that’s exactly what they at least claim to be. “They’re nonces therefore they weren’t really people of faith” is surely special pleading.

If I were a wannabe kiddie-fiddler who wanted to get myself into a position where I could fiddle kiddies, I’d go into teaching or youth club work or some such. Joining the priesthood in order to be able to “liaise closely” with altar boys would seem to me to be very much a high investment / low yield choice unless I had a very specific fetish.

jamj1974

The whole contextual-sexuality thing is interesting. However, I more disposed to think that some people look for specific opportunities to abuse others – similar to Basils point.

jamj1974

very much a high investment / low yield choice

And historically a low risk choice…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Paedophile priests – an explanation’ is closed to new replies.