Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Pads – Shimano or Superstar?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been using Clarkes organics for most of the year, very good stopping power – can’t tell any difference from the finned shimanos they replaced, but they don’t last as long.

My mate in the lbs buys a box of them between a few of us, works out just over 4 quid a pair at trade. I’d say they’re better than the budget brands, and not quite as good as OEM, but for 4 bucks a pop.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a recovering fear braker and the stock set of finned metallic pads that came with my XT’s last December are still going strong even after a week with DougBasqueMTB. I’m impressed with them.

The organic stock pads in the BRR515’s on my cx lasted well but I ditched them a month ago as the brakes felt crap but there was loads of pad left. I’ve put Uberbike Organics in and conclude the original pads had glazed. I can stop again. 🙂

From left field, I had a set of RHD ‘s in some Elixirs and they were awesome. I’d have moved over to them happily but couldn’t find anyone with a functowebsite and sensible price selling them.

I’ve had lots of Superstar pads, and they’re OK for the price, but not really loyalty inspiring. 🙂

leegee

I have Rahox Super speed and wouldn’t call them expensive, very pleased with them.

mattyfez

I rate my superstar organics, they are certainly better than the stock pads they replaced. But I don’t have much to compare them to.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me which Rahox pads I need for Shimano Zee?

MSP

They don’t do pads for saint/zee at the moment. I emailed them a few months ago to ask.

The absolute best pads I have found are brake authority ceramic, they are what I use in my saints, however they are expensive, even more so than the stock shimano pads, but they are worth it for gravity duties IMO.

In order the best pads I have used (starting with the best) are-

brake authority ceramic
    rahox hyper speed
    ebc red
    goodridge sintered
    hope oem – just ok
    shimano oem – starting to be not so good
    superstar, hayes, formula and clarkes all just plain crap

I weigh in at 120kg so I really notice the performance differences far more than most people would.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks MSP! Pity as I’d have liked to try them out…

MSP

email them, if there is demand they might start making them.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I might do that!

It’s funny how some folk love a certain pad and some hate them!

Any recommendations for a pad or a compound in general that works well but is quiet/doesnt equal much?

I tried Superstar years ago and they fell to bits – not tried them since

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve got Superstar kevlar pads on 3 mountain bikes and my latest disc road bike. They stop well, last for ages and don’t squeel at all unlike the Shimano and Hope pads that came as standard on my various disc brakes.

I’ve been using them for several years now and have never had a set fall apart on me either.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Pads – Shimano or Superstar?’ is closed to new replies.