Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pads for trail riding…
  • shoogly
    Free Member

After a wee accident at the weekend which resulted in a couple of puncture wounds and a sore head, i’m up for getting some elbow and knee pads. Last ones I had were years ago and were too big and bulky for any length of ride, more suited to mucking around on down hill tracks and north shore etc.

Can anyone recommend some that would not get too hot on longer 20k+ rides but still give a decent level of protection and not fall apart at the first hint of trouble. Should be able to fit under 3/4 length shorts and biking trousers as well for through the winter.

iainc

For knees, I use both Bliss Minimalist and RaceFace Charge for that type of riding. Not much rock protection but good for gravel and grazes. Don’t feel them at all when pedalling and they are toasty !

lucky7500

661 Rage (hard version) kneepads have been working very well for me. I automatically put them on for pretty much every ride I do, including general trail riding, enduro races, a seven hour endurance type ride etc, and within a couple of minutes I don’t notice that I’m wearing them. They’ve saved my knees on a fair few occasions as well so are certainly up to the job in that respect. They fit under normal shorts but I haven’t tried either 3/4 length or full trousers.

nickc

I’ve found Alpinestars Paragon very comfy and unobtrusive

Andy-R

I can recommend Troy Lee 5400 and IXS Flow pads. I don’t notice either of them when I’m riding, even in high temperatures (30+ degrees). I wear one or the other pretty much every ride now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got some D30 based Raceface Indy knee pads, they’re pretty cool even in summer, I’ve had one stack in them and the D30 stuff seemed to work.

Keeps the wind off your knees in winter too.

neilcain
    Free Member

Try some on if you can.

I know TLD Bones don’t like my knees, but I’ve got on with Dainesse Trailskins as a lighter pad, and can pedal in 661 Straits and Fox Launch Pads.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Tried every pad known to man then settled on POC Air.

I found finding a decent fitting pad harder than finding a helmet that fitted well.

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve just sent 500 quids worth of pads back to CRC.

Settled on POC air for the knees. Probably going with IXS Flow for the arms, just awaiting delivery of hopefully the right size.

It’s like bloody goldilocks, too big, to tight, tight below the knee, baggy above the knee, same on arms. I must have big forearms and calves.

The TLD 5xxx pads are nice, and with a choice of lengths. Almost went with them.

Dainese, just didn’t fit me, nor Flow knees.

I have g-from knee pads, comfy for xc and have saved me a couple of times, but the sleeves don’t seem so robust snagging on undergrowth and pedal pins. Also some old 661 Kyle Straits that I don’t really like for pedalling in.

Potdog
    Free Member

I’m currently running some G Form pads. Very comfy but as mark90 says, the sleeves are pretty light and can be snagged quite easily. Also got some TLD 5XXX pads for more burly use.

Northwind

Minimal pads can be good for wearing under trousers but other’n that bulkier, more protective pads are just better imo- far more protection and coverage, they stay in place better than the really minimal pads, and they’re not any more hot or restrictive than the middle of the road pads.

For riding longer distance, I happily did about 80km at the GT7 wearing my 661 Rages. And I think something like 180km in 4 days for the EWS.

I have a set of gform elbow pads, they’ve proved themselves to be about as protective as a layer of clothes, and about as sweaty as my POC DH pads (because the POCs cover less skin)

shoogly
    Free Member

Fantastic feedback folks, much appreciated. A fair bit to look at 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

POC Air for me on knees and elbows.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pads for trail riding…’ is closed to new replies.