Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Padded Shorts..?
  • philstone

Went out on the bike this morning, front wheel slid out on some wooden steps (there are a lot over here on the cliff paths) landed quite hard on my coccyx, pretty much ruined the rest of the ride as I was in agony!
    So thinking about getting some armoured shorts for the wet days when I know the tracks are going to be greasy.. Whats out there? Been looking for either chamois & armoured inners or some armoured outer shorts but can’t seem to find either…

mrmo
    Free Member

probably because they don’t exist? closest i can think of are the back protectors/pressure suits from dianese, 661, etc.

As far as i can figure to fully protect the coccyx isn’t going to be easy without impacting on the ability to ride a bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

661 Sub layer – about £30. I have a short sleeved shirt and am very happy with it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    billyboulders
    Free Member

As above 661 sub. The shorts have some tailbone protection and are comfy to wear only problem is they are seriously hot as the protective pads don’t seem to breathe very well IME.

Northwind

I’ve got a couple of pair of protective shorts- hip’s a bit ****ed so for harder riding it’s nice to have the reassurance. 661’s Bomber Evos are barely any more noticable than a plain lycra short- they get sweaty over hte course of a day but that’s all really. Thin so they go under regular kit. No chamois though. Downside is the protection isn’t that complete, there’a fair few gaps in the padding, but there’s coccyx protection. These I can wear all day for XC riding if I feel like it.

But also got another pair of those- Pros? Not sure of the model. Much bulkier and more complete coverage, better protection of the ends of the femur and a bit more coccyx padding as well. But a lot sweatier, and bulkier. I only wear these for downhill, wouldn’t want to pedal or even push up in them.

POC’s shorts do have a tiny wee chamois, which spoiled them for me but might be more your thing. They feel much more protective with the hardshell but are more noticable and bulky.

philstone

Cheers, just found the Bluegrass Wolverine padded shorts – seem to fit the bill.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Padded Shorts..?’ is closed to new replies.