Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • padded bib tights required for commuting? good quality.
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Got a bit nippy this morning a 5am.

I’ve never had any before. I don’t want to use leg warmers, just want to take off 1 item off quickly when I get to work.

Need to be long I’m 6ft 3.5 inches tall.

Good padding.

Cheers

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cant go far wrong with castelli.. not sure how well they will fit your long shanks though

njee20
    Free Member

Unpadded tights over shorts, more versatile. What’s the budget? I think Assos tights are worth the money, but they’re not cheap.

Otherwise you’ll need to wash them every day, I’m guessing you have more than one pair of shorts…?

jacob46
    Free Member

I’ve got shorts but it’s better to take off 1 item than 2!

Just spotted sum DHB from wiggle £52.99
    Mite order and see what there like.

GrahamS

dhb Vaeon Roubaix: £55 will get you through pretty cold weather.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

dhb Vaeon Zero: £80 will get you through properly cold weather.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-zero-padded-bib-tight/

Consider wearing some 3/4 baggies over the top to keep the wind chill off if it is properly parky.

Unpadded tights over shorts

That doesn’t sound very comfy! 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Unpadded tights over shorts, more versatile.

Yes they are. When I commuted I washed my shorts every day but left the tights for a weeks worth of commuting unless they got really wet.

What are you doing that you need to be so efficient with your undressing? 🙂

I bought two pairs of identical assos bib shorts for commuting, seemed freakin expensive at the time but they were super comfortable and stood up to being washed up to 3 times a week for years. I’ve still got them 10 years on and although the padding shows signs of wear they are still perfectly wearable.

njee20
    Free Member

Take them off together then. The time spent washing them every day is far more significant 😕

redddraggon
    Free Member

Back when I was a full time commuter I used to wear bottom end dhb tights. Not sure of the quality these days but mine were good and hard wearing, albeit the pad was a little thing (but sufficient for commuting).

jacob46
    Free Member

Thanks Grahams,

Just found them. Mite try the robaix ones first.

Yes 2 items is uncomfortable!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I have DHB Roubaix Shorts, 3/4s and Tights. They are so comfy and good value I can’t see why you’d get anything else.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That is a bizzare requirement, leave home 5 seconds earlier to allow time to remove one more layer when you get into work?

This time of year I usualy wear some DHB 3/4 roubaix shorts under some altura attack waterproof baggies. The baggies are multifunction though, they keep me dry and aleviate my co-workres blushes when I have to strut through the office in spandex.

lemonysam
    Free Member

My DHB Roubaix tights have a far more pronounced seam in the crotch than the shorts equivalent – sometimes I find it makes them a bit uncomfortable.

njee20
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound very comfy!

Why? You don’t do it with baggies, you use lycra shorts. Why would it not be comfy? 😕

What a weird thread.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my wiggle/dhb tights are now over a year old, they’ve been used A LOT, they look like new.

i’m a skinny 6’2″ish, with 36″legs, medium fits fine.

they’re comfy, warm, durable, and cheap. the word ‘bargain’ is an understatement

gazc
    Free Member

Unpadded tights over shorts

this – i use 2 pairs of planet x unpadded tights over decent bib shorts, a fresh pair each day. warm and comfy on my commute/night rides. take both off at same time at work, can wear shorts only if i get off work early and its still sunny, and saves having 5 pairs of tights with pads as i ride in them everyday midweek

the planet x ones i have aren’t available now, but i’m keeping an eye out for a new pair when they come back in as had these a few years

toby1

I’ve been using the short Howies bibs for most of the year. They’ve lost some cotton from the seams but nothing major and they are very comfy. I’d consider getting more of these.

Have some DHB full length bibs which are pretty good too but it’s not been cold enough to get them out yet this year.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Yes 2 items is uncomfortable

boxers and trousers
    shirt and hoody.

I’ve been getting it wrong for so long!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound very comfy!

It’s fine you have one tight fitting garment over a second tight fitting garment, it really doesn’t feel noticeably different to just wearing the one layer.

The other thing is that its far more practical and cheaper as you buy good quality shorts that can be worn all year round but cheaper sacrificial tights that only get used for 3-4 months. Also combining the two mean that on really cold days you can wear 3/4 shorts under tights for added knee warmth.

ahwiles
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member

combining the two mean that on really cold days you can wear 3/4 shorts under tights for added knee warmth.

this, warm like toast, only snugglier.

GrahamS

Why? You don’t do it with baggies, you use lycra shorts.

Ah see what you mean – I’d pictured you pulling tights up over normal shorts which sounded hideous.

I guess over lycra shorts works – I tend to do the opposite and wear normal shorts or 3/4 baggies over the top of lycra.

I find it keeps the wind chill off on cold days, offers some dryness when it rains (assuming showerproof shorts), and stops the lycra getting caked in mud.

Plus of course no one likes seeing a middle aged man prancing through the office in his lycra.

jacob46
    Free Member

Thomthumb, since when is your Arse rubbing against a thin seat when you’ve got boxers & trousers on?

Or your back rubbing against a seat when wearing shirt & hoody ffs.

njee20
    Free Member

I guess over lycra shorts works – I tend to do the opposite and wear normal shorts or 3/4 baggies over the top of lycra.

Now that is uncomfortable, as unpadded tights have seams in the wrong place, and pads are designed to sit against the skin.

As the OP wants tights, and is too busy to take off multiple layers he’s clearly not wearing baggies, so the better solution all round (IMO of course) is unpadded tights over padded lycra shorts.

ahwiles
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

…no one likes seeing a middle aged man prancing through the office in his lycra.

they don’t?! – but it feels so good!

(is mincing ok?)

GrahamS

Now that is uncomfortable, as unpadded tights have seams in the wrong place, and pads are designed to sit against the skin.

Sorry – should have clarified – I wear padded lycra with unpadded baggies over the top.

In fact at this time of year I tend to wear that DHB Vaeon bib I linked to earlier – it has a pretty comfy pad and is toasty warm. Plus it is cheap (relatively speaking) so I don’t mind wearing it out on commutes.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

since when is your Arse rubbing against a thin seat when you’ve got boxers & trousers on?

Or your back rubbing against a seat when wearing shirt & hoody ffs.

Padded cycle shorts and unpadded cycling tights will have the seams correctly positioned so that any rubbing is minimised, they are designed to be worn like this otherwise why would they make unpadded tights?

nemesis
    Free Member

Slight hijack but any recommendations for windproof tights (no pad! 🙂 ) that are low/mid range price?

fathomer

What njee20 & muppetWrangler, you don’t even know your wearing two layers.

cookeaa

I bought these last winter (3/4 version of the DHB roubaix tights you linked) and just rode with my socks pulled up through most of November, when it gots colder Dec-Feb I doubled up a bit by using leg warmers with them…

The pad is good IMO but I’d Say they’re a bit too hot and sweaty in current weather conditions, give it another couple of weeks before going full Bhuna on the roubaix…

The other major disadvantage with tights or 3/4 bibs is if you take a fall on to your knee (entirely possible commuting during the winter) then you’ll wreck them, with an un-padded tight over summer shorts, or separate leg warmers you run less risk of ruining a nice, pricier bit of kit in a tumble, the minor inefficiency when undressing is worth it IMO…

edhornby

er hang on a second, when we talk about shorts we mean

lycra shorts/bibs underneath the padless tights

or

all in one tights with a pad

or

or bibs with baggies over the top

you really wouldn’t want baggies underneath tights this would be a recipe for chafing.
    My preference is for option 1, the planet X bibs are fine for most conditions, it would have to be seriously cold for them to not be sufficient (the kind of weather I probably wouldn’t ride in, or if I did I would be more concerned with other extremities, fingers toes)

nemesis
    Free Member

I think anyone sensible who’s suggested ‘shorts’ under unpadded tights means padded cycling shorts.

njee20
    Free Member

What njee20 & muppetWrangler, you don’t even know your wearing two layers.

Eh?! I’m advocating wearing two layers, of course you can’t bloody tell in use! In fact for really long rides I wear two pairs of padded bibshorts for even more added comfort.

I think anyone sensible who’s suggested ‘shorts’ under unpadded tights means padded cycling shorts.

Indeed.

jacob46
    Free Member

Send a couple of links then for non padded tights! Prefered hi waistline.

lunge

Get thee to Decathlon. Assuming you do want tights, £60 will get you a very comfortable pair that last well. You can pick up a pair of 3/4 length’s whilst you’re there as well which are great for the in between days.

boxelder

DHB are fine.
    Endura.

fathomer

njee20 – Member
    Eh?! I’m advocating wearing two layers, of course you can’t bloody tell in use! In fact for really long rides I wear two pairs of padded bibshorts for even more added comfort.

I was agreeing with you, some others where suggesting that it wasn’t comfy!

jacob46
    Free Member

Tried looking for dhb but all padded! I’ll keep looking.

ahwiles
    Free Member

eh?

no pad

with pad

(is confused)

cookeaa

dhb Vaeon Unpadded Waist Tight

dhb Vaeon Roubaix Unpadded Bib Tight

iainc

The DHB Vaeon Roubaix padded ones as linked earlier are top notch. I have used thenm for last 2 winters. I also have the zero ones, which are too warm unless temp below about 2 degrees, they are also a lot less stretchy due to the windproof panels.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t really offer honest recommendations of actual products because all the tights I have (pearl izumi, assos and endura) are over ten years old and I doubt that they are the same as anything currently available but a quick google threw up DHB unpadded tights.

DHB Unpadded

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘padded bib tights required for commuting? good quality.’ is closed to new replies.