Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Packing tips for a 6 week bike trip (inc flying)
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

I’m going on a big biking/surfing trip to the states next week and am suddenly worried about packing.
    What do I need obviously i’m taking my bike/surfboard/tent but after that any tips for what I need, I cant take a massive tool kit so what do I take? Do I take spare tyres tubes? (do they have shops over there?) how do I pack my bike bag properly? I hope air Canada doesn’t snap my carbon rims like they did to that guy the other week.
    Any tips?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do they have shops over there?

What America?
    Nah no bike shops there.

Less tax and depending on the exchange rate better to get any spares when you need them, get some tubes when you get there.

Packing the bag? Follow the instruction normally what bag?

But at least rotors off.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

What America?
    Nah no bike shops there

I realise they do have shops – it was a joke!!

Why take rotors off???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because they get bent.

Pigface
    Free Member

Where are you planning to go, California is a bit draconian with camping in National parks. Nearest National camp ground to Santa Cruz is New Brighton which is quite a trek from Pleasure Point. Miles away from Cowells and Steamers.

You can camp near Rincon,

South of L.A. you can camp near Swamis, and Trestles

Travel light, virtually go feral. Small stove etc

Any thing you need you can get.

stumpy01

My mates all think my bike packing is OTT. But, from memory….

rotors off wheels.
    frame/fork spacers to stop them getting crushed
    rear mech off, wrapped in bubble wrap & taped inside rear triangle
    chain shifted onto big ring to protect teeth
    handlebars off & taped along top tube.
    Whole thing wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap/grey plumbers pipe lagging using masking tape and/or large re-usable zip ties. Take enough tape so you can re-pack at other end.

I also had a large block of dense white packing form that I cut into shape so the BB rested on it and supported the bike off the floor. A simiar piece supported the rear dropouts & the fork dropouts.

I used a Brand-X bike bag lined with a cut down bike box for rigidity & protection that I got from Halfords.

If you are taking pads, you could wrap them with the bike as a bit of extra protection.

Spares – depends where you are going really and the availability of parts.
    I would take:
    rear hanger
    a few spare powerlinks for the chain
    brake pads
    Brake bleed kit if you have one (but that was due to paranoia over tempremental Avid brakes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Packing tips for a 6 week bike trip (inc flying)’ is closed to new replies.