Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Packing RP23 shock with grease? (Heath Robinson)
  • hora
    Free Member

A bikeshop mechanic told me an easy tip on how to deal with a wallowy/linear RP23- put some grease into the air can. Obviously don’t fill it but a big dollop. He thinks it helps provide extra compression/support.

I said wouldn’t the grease migrate to and down the shaft/out? No- it stays at the top of the shock apparently.

Agree? On the face of it I can see where hes coming from. Ideas?

llatsni
    Free Member

The air volume reducers do this more reliably.

eddie11
    Free Member

Yes it will work. Yes it will migrate. Yes the propriety volume reducers will work better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    solamanda
    Free Member

Grease works fine, I’ve been doing it for years.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a big tub of grease at hand and the spacers are £35 for 3 (you only use one). Shirley a quick experiment wouldn’t hurt?

tmb467
    Free Member

What’s the worst that can happen?

jairaj

Isn’t grease blocking the transfer port for the positive and negative chambers a common fault in shocks?

As an experiment it’ll probably fine but for long term use I’d either use the proper volume reducers or at least make your own plastic washer.

wwaswas

Tomorrow:

“My RP23 isn’t working – warranty issue?”

chvck
    Free Member

I cut up the cover of one of these for my reducer.

Did the job.

marky29er
    Free Member

I must admit I thought about this, or squirting in a load of float fluid instead, but bottled it & bought at great expense the plastic spacers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Float fluid would fill the -ve spring like grease does wouldn’t it?

I’ve heard of the high volume sleve being filled with grease or electrical tape to reduce it’s volume, but grease in the air cans seems a bad idea.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Packing RP23 shock with grease? (Heath Robinson)’ is closed to new replies.