Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Packable waterproof jacket?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Hi all. After getting hosed on by some variable and unpredictable weather during a Paris to London ride this weekend, I’m on the hunt for a packable waterproof jacket.

Needs to be small and light enough to easily fit into a (road) jersey pocket. Ideally looking for a race cut with very long sleeves (I’m 6’6 and very slim). Hi-vis would be a bonus but not essential.

Most of my jerseys are Castelli or Sportful as they fit me well, so I’ve been looking at the Castelli Squadra, Sottile or maybe even a Muur, but I’m not a brand snob so open to any suggestions.

Would obviously rather not spend too much, but don’t want to get something nasty just to save a few quid either.

Thanks!

WillH

I have an old (maybe 10 years) Gore Bike Wear pac-lite jacket. Long arms, and a bum flap that clips up when not needed, but stops your backside getting wet and gritty when deployed. I have great long monkey arms and this is the only jacket I’ve found that fits properly when on the bike. Breathability is pretty average (about the same as any waterproof jacket I guess), but water still beads well after all these years. It packs down into its own rear pocket, very light weight and compact.

Not sure of the model but looking at their website it’s an older version of this:

http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-alp-x-20-gore-tex-active-jacket/JGALPX,default,pd.html?dwvar_JGALPX_color=3599&start=1&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-jackets-jackets&prefn1=ingredientCategory&prefv1=GORE-TEX%C2%AE%20Products&navid=search

or this:

http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-fusion-20-gore-tex-active-jacket/JGFUST,default,pd.html?dwvar_JGFUST_color=3599&start=7&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-jackets-jackets&prefn1=ingredientCategory&prefv1=GORE-TEX%C2%AE%20Products&navid=search

Probably the first one as it has a fold-away tail, aka bum flap.

grizedaleforest

I bought a Sportful Hot Pack 5 jacket earlier this year and love it for its packability and a really good cut for my build. It’s not fully waterproof however (in the STW tradition of ignoring what you’ve asked for and recommending only what I use)

ashfanman
    Free Member

Yeah, I was looking at the Hot Packs too – they do a No Rain version, which is waterproof and has taped seams, etc.

How are the sleeves? Nice and long?

grizedaleforest

Sleeves are nice and long, with a long back too. I’ve got long arms and they’re good for me.

aP
    Free Member

I bought an Endura FS260-Pro Adrenaline Race Cape a couple of years ago. I was a bit unsure about it as nothing else I’d bought from Endura was any good, but it works very well. I’ve used it in Europe a few times at Gran Fondo’s in good solid rain and been comfortable.

andyeez
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but how does the FS260 come up for sizing aP?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use this jacket:
    http://road.cc/content/review/80891-dhb-minima-s-waterproof-jacket

Currently £24 at Wiggle. That review mentions it has long arms?

I have normal arms and it seems fine… is a good jacket. Packs up small and you don’t really notice it when you’re cycling.

flashes
    Free Member

Aldi, £8.00 and of all the times I’ve taken it on rides, only had to use it once. I was in France last week, it rained………..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Packable waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.