Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Packable Roadie Rain Jackets…
  • gatsby
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recommendations?

After recently having my Assos Climashutz cut off me by paramedics (yes, it hurt more than my injuries!) I’m looking for a new rain jacket…

Must be:
    • Packable/back-pocketable
    • Breathable
    • Race-fit – not flappy

I’ve looked (online) at the Rapha, Castelli Pocket Liner, Gore Oxygen… Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

darthshearer
    Free Member

I have a cheapo Pro Bike Kit one. Was £15 and I have had no issues with it. Very breathable and top.

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve got some montane thing that’s OK.
    Might not be race fit though.
    Does pack down to the size of an apple.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve a Gore Oxygen which you mention on your list. It works well but I’ve not really much similar to compare.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve the Rapha race cape. It’s more of a race cut than the imperial works or city range. Shocker, clue’s in the name. Breathable, not 100% waterproof. Packs small enough to go in a jersey pocket. Same pack size as my Buffalo windshirt, which is flappy but great for off road.
    Got the Rapha from the outlet store, down to a ton from just shy of 2. Defo not worth £200. Alright for £100.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got an Endura race cape which is actually really good. I haven’t used it that much, but it did work really well in Italy a couple of years ago for a particularly damp and miserable day cycling in the northern Veneto.
    For emergency might/ might not be caught days I just use a Catelli translucent plastic race cape. It has vents, it keeps the water out, its keeps the wind out, it packs down super tiny, and it has no discernable breathable properties.

gatsby
    Free Member

It pains me to pay upwards of 100 quid for what’s little more than a kagool, but I appreciate that you get what you pay for. The Assos was brilliant, although not 100% waterproof which is why I was looking at e-vent and goretex jackets.

I’m off to NEC next week, so I might have a scout round. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! (or links to unmissable offers in size large 😉 )

globalti
    Free Member

The Castelli Sottile jacket is reasonably priced and was quite astonishingly good when I used it for the Ride London 100 last year that was shortened due to biblical rain. I really thought it would be no better than a wetsuit but to my surprise I stayed quite dry. It weighs nothing, is slightly strechy so fits snugly and rolls up the size of a drinks can.

Even with unlined Goretex you won’t get such a small jacket rolled.

TiRed

Endura race cape

Mine fell apart. The lining separated from the outer. When it worked it was great. Castelli Scottile next.

Bez

Gore Xenon 2.0 AS? Got one myself but, er, haven’t actually used it yet. Stuffs down a little larger than the standard boil-in-the-bags, but unlike those it’ll hopefully work.

I’ve got an Oxygen (which I have used) but, assuming it’s the same one as you’re referring to, it’s just slightly large for a pocket. Does come with a stuff sack that can be fairly easily attached to a saddle bag or similar, though. It’s the real deal for when it’s properly chucking it down, though. Overkill for mixed days.

aP
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    Endura race cape
    Mine fell apart. The lining separated from the outer. When it worked it was great. Castelli Scottile next.

TBH, I wasn’t expecting it to be any good, but it worked very well, unlike anything else they’ve made since about 1996.

gatsby
    Free Member

The Endura looks very good, but I was hoping for something abit more robust than an emergency race cape – something that you’d be happy to set off in the rain in, but also something that would fit in the pocket.

That Gore one looks very nice… How waterproof is windstopper?

kcr
    Free Member

Vaude Skyfly is close fit,very breathable, waterproof, pocket size and about £80 from German online retailers. I’ve worn it for a couple of long, wet Audax events this year and it performed well.

LS
    Free Member

I’ve got an Oxygen (which I have used) but, assuming it’s the same one as you’re referring to, it’s just slightly large for a pocket.

Gore Oxygen here – fits nicely inside my jersey pockets but I guess it depends what size. I’m a large but it’s snuggish on me at 37″ chest.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have a Vaude eVent jacket. Very simple with no pockets or hood, but a good close fit with a short front and long tail. It fits in a jersey pocket. Not been hugely impressed with how well it’s waterproofing has lasted despite appropriate washing and reproofing.

gatsby
    Free Member

Hmm… I’d not heard of Vaude before… Stilltortoise, was it the seams that were the issue? eVent usually gets comparable if not better reviews than goretex….

tang
    Free Member

Castelli have a event jacket, ‘pave’ it’s called. It is very light but well pricey.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Gatsby no I don’t think it was the seams. I just remember having a ride in pissing rain and get absolutely soaking arms. My body wasn’t much better. This was minutes into the ride on a flat, easy track so can’t have been me being too sweaty.

VauDe are relatively big in the outdoor (walking, climbing, camping) market but do seem to be bigger on the continent.

DanW
    Free Member

I use a Mavic HC H2O. Packs in to a jersey pocket despite not being “packable” per se. Lots of clever vents and breathable material to keep you cool, great tight fit and will keep you dry as a bone even in a deluge. Really, really great flexible jacket

gatsby
    Free Member

Dan, thanks for that review, the Mavic was one that appealed but I was put off by the fact that it’s not advertised as packable.

Good looking jacket too!

[edit] seems to be discontinued though… 🙁

DanW
    Free Member

The Mavic jacket really is amazing! Packing-wise I just roughly folded mine and it’s about 6-7cm diameter when a jersey pocket length. Packable enough for me anyway 😀 The newer jackets are made from a slightly different material to most of the online reviews which is even better still. I saw one review that said “they couldn’t make it more waterproof if they tried” and this is spot on. You get long well placed under arm vents, forearm vents and a clever full length vent in the front. Chest and rear pockets are really well executed too.

seems to be discontinued though…

Nope, there’s 2015 versions. I paid about £100 for the slightly older white/ red version (Cyclesurgery) which isn’t tooooo bad for such a versatile jacket. Just be aware the listed size is an EU size and smaller than the UK size. So if you are a Medium, buy Large

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sportful do an Ultralight Hot Pack jacket. Not totally waterproof but windproof and stretchy, only 50g and very packable. About a hundred quid. They also do a NoRain Hot Pack which is meant to be a bit bulkier and properly waterproof with stretchy bits for a close fit. Their kit tends to have a decent race cut to it. I’ve tried neither 🙂

tang
    Free Member

+1 for mavic, I have one and it’s ace, you can get it stuffed in a jersey pocket! Features like the double zip are cool, options of closed, full length vent or open.

gatsby
    Free Member

I’ve been very impressed with Sportful stuff lately, they seem to have some really good kit. I’ll have a look at NEC and see what it’s like.

Quite disappointed I can’t find that Mavic in a large, it looks like it ticks a lot of boxes!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sportful Hot Pack is a brilliant wee jacket. Ultra-packable and just the ticket for those rides where windy and rainy weather takes you by surprise.

Looks a bit Prada-ish as well.

Shop around and you should get last year’s one pretty cheap.

DanW
    Free Member

Quite disappointed I can’t find that Mavic in a large, it looks like it ticks a lot of boxes!

Large UK or Mavic Large to fit a Medium UK?

Black UK L

Red/ White Eu L, UK M

Red/ White UK L

Red/ Grey UK M

cloudnine
    Free Member

Montane velo

ransos
    Free Member

Montane velo

Ditto. It’s showerproof rather than a proper rain jacket, but I think that’s fine for road riding, and it means it’s breathable enough to avoid boiling in the bag.

gatsby
    Free Member

Thanks Dan, what’s the sizing like? I’m 6’1″, 13.5st, large size in most manufacturers…

jameso

7-Mesh Resistance jacket is well worth a look. I was loaned one to test during a 4-day 675 mile road ride that had a 2 days of wet, windy weather. Very impresssed, could be my only jacket for similar rides in future, rather than the ‘proper’ w-proof and light windproof combo I usually take. Stretch Windstopper Active Shell fabric is comfy, fabric and rear vents combo breathes really well, way better than similarly-vented paclite etc, so it stayed on longer than most WPs when the rain stopped. It’s rated as water resistant rather than proof by gore but I think that under-sells the fabric having worn it in proper storm downpours and hours of incessant drizzle where it didn’t soak through, dries fast too. 100-odd grams and packs really small, the M is good slim fit for me, not flappy at all. tbh I’d have overlooked it at the price, having used it I’d buy one.

edsbike
    Free Member

I have a medium grey race cape from the outlet store that is now surplus to requirements. Worn once, looks brand spanking, if you’re interested?

gatsby
    Free Member

I think a medium might be a struggle! Thanks though, if it had been a large I would definitely have been…

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks Dan, what’s the sizing like? I’m 6’1″, 13.5st, large size in most manufacturers…

The UK size is true to normal UK sized stuff. The EU size (1 size smaller than UK) is true to “Italian fit” stuff. I am a Medium in everything except the likes of Castelli where I am a large and wear a UK M/ EU L Mavic HC H2O

gatsby
    Free Member

I’m in that awkward hinterland between Medium and Large so I think I’ll go for a Large on the basis that I might want to wear a decent layer underneath.

I think I’ll wait til I’ve been to the Cycleshow next week before I make a decision though, it’s always helpful to get something in your hand and feel whether it’ll work for your own needs…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-ultralight-windproof-cycling-jacket-white-id_8283388.html

Light Rain use so breathable. But if its waterproof your gonna sweat your nads off anyhow.

nedrapier

jameso, 7 mesh sounds good. what size are you? 5’11″/ 6′, slim?

nedrapier

never mind, just saw the price!

For some reason, when you said “I’d have overlooked it at that price” I was thinking too cheap, not too expensive!

theflatboy
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Montane velo
    Ditto. It’s showerproof rather than a proper rain jacket, but I think that’s fine for road riding, and it means it’s breathable enough to avoid boiling in the bag.

Am I going mad or do Montane not do their good cycling jackets any more – I have one that I really like but I shredded it in a crash last Jan. Looking for a replacement, and Montane doesn’t seem to be an option now?

theflatboy
    Free Member

After reading this thread I’ve spotted a nice looking Mavic jacket I may go for. Anyone know what their sizing comes up like? I’m just under 6’2″ and slim. Ta.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m not convinced there is a properly breathable waterproof rain jacket, they’re all slightly boil in the bag, just a matter of how much. If I’m headed out and there’s a chance of rain I’ll usually just carry either a gore-tex gilet or a Sportful hotpack jacket, wet arms don’t really bother me though unless is cold out and the extra breathability of a gilet really helps

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Packable Roadie Rain Jackets…’ is closed to new replies.