Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Pack up and sell everything!
  • vonplatz
    Free Member

I had a fall just before my summer holiday and knacked my elbow. I recovered fully and went on a skills course at the end of august. However, since returning home, every time i’ve been out on the last month I’ve fallen off.

Scraped elbow, two scraped knees, bruised hip, grazed tricep. All on seperate occasions. It makes me want to take up lawn bowls (or getting a road bike).

richpips
    Free Member

What have you got, and how much do you want?

Bregante

I hate to break this to you but people get hurt on road bikes too (probably moreso than mountain bikes)

ads678

Just buy a new bike, you’ll be riding like a god again in no time!!

Simon

I’d rather take my chances against the rocks and trees than take to the tarmac.

Speshpaul

“every time i’ve been out on the last month I’ve fallen off.”
    Only falling off once per ride is a result! Good work.

Crack on 😆

Scraped elbow, two scraped knees, bruised hip, grazed tricep. All on seperate occasions

Cool, maybe next time you’ll have a proper crash and do all of them in one go – might even cut something.

Man up, or give me all your stuff.

God help you if you fall off on the road 😉

vonplatz
    Free Member

Hmmm, tarmac is quite unforgiving.

Cool, maybe next time you’ll have a proper crash and do all of them in one go – might even cut something.

It’s just so frustrating that every time i take the bike out I end up on the floor with some minor injury (i’ve also had proper crashes and didn’t enjoy them much either).

What are thoughts on riding with knee / elbow pads AT ALL TIMES.

None of my riding mates do and to be honest 99% of the time its total overkill.

Simon

What sort of crashes are you having?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Get some lightweight elbow and knee pads.

Who cares if it is overkill if it makes you feel safe and more relaxed.

You’d probably crash less too. Psychological it is.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I’m having senseless idiot crashes. Today I crashed riding fast UP a hill. I lost balance and went down with quite a lot force on my knee. Other ones are due to lack of commitment and bottling it even though I’m mid section.

meiklebike
    Free Member

road biking is ok, until you’ve tried mountain biking, then it’s totally shit. I fall off all the time, it’s all part of the fun. loads less injuries than my rugby days so there yer go

chip
    Free Member

Every time I go out on my mtb I wear Padded kneepads, Padded elbow pads on local trials and elbow pads with hard caps at trail Centers, and padded fingerless gloves.

I crash atleast once everytime out and apart from once always get up laughing without a scratch,
    The exception being a recent crash at swinley where my front wheel washed out landing heavily on my elbow and shoulder leaving me suspected broken rib/ribs.

I am pretty sure I would have Broken my arm if not for my elbow pad.

Falling off means i am trying to get better and the day I stop falling off will be the day I achieve total mtb enlightenment.
    Until then i prefer to look like a plank who gets up laughing.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – try a skills course or some coaching. They’ll give you the confidence you need to commit and not crash like you are doing!

oldnick

“I recovered fully and went on a skills course at the end of august. However, since returning home, every time i’ve been out on the last month I’ve fallen off”

I think I would ask for a refund.

roverpig

It might be worth reflecting a bit on why you started riding off road in the first place. What was it about the experience that you enjoyed and that made you want to do it again? Do you still have that feeling and if not, why not?

Also, what is it that is pushing you to keep riding stuff that is beyond your comfort zone? Do you need to be better/faster than other riders to feel good about yourself? Do you believe that the only way to improve is to keep pushing your boundaries?

Somebody mentioned guitar playing on another thread, which is something else that I dabble in. Although guitar playing and mountain biking seems poles apart there are some interesting parallels. Lots of people try and take up guitar (or any instrument) in their middle age, but get frustrated because they don’t sound like a rock god after a few months and give up. The problem is often that they are always trying to play stuff that’s way beyond their ability in a mistaken belief that if they keep playing hard pieces they’ll get better quicker. In fact, as any teacher will tell you, playing hard pieces badly just ingrains bad habits. It’s much better to start with something simple and really nail that before moving on.

I don’t really know how well that translates to mountain biking, but it does seem as though an awful lot of people take it up in later years and then beat themselves up because they are not a riding god after a few months. If you can hold onto the simple enjoyment of riding a bike and just keep doing it, then after 20 years you’ll be pretty good without even trying. What’s the hurry?

Oh and if pads make you feel more comfortable then wear them. I’ve taken to wearing G-form knee pads on pretty much every off-road ride now as I found that I hardly ever crash on the bits that I think are dangerous. It’s the simple bits that get me every time.

geoffj

Triathlons?

benp1

Can’t you just take it a bit easier?

mangatank
    Free Member

I had this problem after a totally unexpected and nasty tank-slapper at 0630 in a remote forest 9 years ago. I was out of it for 10 minutes with no hope of help. I finally got myself to my feet, rode another 7 painfully stiff miles of trail and then collapsed. Turns out I’d put a fracture in my shoulder blade and hip! I’d say it took me two years before I was fully back to my normal confident riding.

I wore pads for the first three months after the accident, but found them unbearable. I gradually changed my riding to include more road between the off-road locations and then worked my way back onto mainly trail routes over the course of a year. That helped me get really bike confident again.

Just pull back for a bit. Mix in some road to keep your hand in, but don’t give up on trail riding.

toppers3933
    Free Member

You need a new bike. Preferably something that will make the trail come alive. 😉 it’s the only way.

jekkyl

Take up crochet!

Mackem

Was it a “clown skills” course?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was in the same place a few years back. In fact I wrote “The Hard Way to become a Poet” for the STW magazine to tell the story. After 29 weeks in a cast following my last crash I had completely lost my fitness, ability, nerve and desire to ride.

I moped around for a while and discovered my way back into riding by trying a different type of riding to what I was used to. For me it was SS pootling around the New Forest just enjoying the scenery which slowly developed into longer rides, the night rides, then harder rides. Suddenly I was back to my old self.

Then I smashed my knee up and a couple of weeks later I snapped my foot off so I am just starting the process all over again.

ico86

I moped around for a while and discovered my way back into riding by trying a different type of riding to what I was used to. For me it was SS pootling around the New Forest just enjoying the scenery which slowly developed into longer rides, the night rides, then harder rides. Suddenly I was back to my old self.

Then I smashed my knee up and a couple of weeks later I snapped my foot off so I am just starting the process all over again.

but y’know. if you want to quit I’m sure you have your reasons…

(this should come with a facetious post warning)
    but I agree with above, chill out and ride something easy, you’ll remember why mountain bikes are fun

chip
    Free Member

My riding skills slowly grow at a natural progression.I don’t expect to fall off or ever attempt something My brain tells me i cannot do.
    It’s just sometimes it actually turns out my brain was wrong, or I just cock it up.

I look at stuff and think that’s only going to end in pain and rightly avoid, but as I naturally improve and gain confidence to the point one day I look and think I could do that and give it a go.
    Then after I have done it a few times, when I look i wonder how it ever appeared a problem.

Get yourself some light pads that will protect you from your general cuts and bruises and enjoy yourself.

5thElefant
    Free Member

or getting a road bike

Falling off on the road is a whole new level of hurt.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t see how wearing pads is overkill if you keep hurting your knees and elbows. 😕

mangatank
    Free Member

a couple of weeks later I snapped my foot off

Sorry….you snapped your foot off? 😯

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You’re having a bad run. It happens. I had one a few months back, kept coming off, lost a bit of confidence on really steep stuff, got a bit brake happy and compounded the problem.

Keep at it, you’ll come out the other side and not have another off for ages.

Most of it is confidence related. Go and see Jedi, at the very least he’ll get your confidence back, his setup is a controlled environment, and great for building confidence.

Oh, and stick a set of pads on if it helps, who cares what anyone else thinks.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry….you snapped your foot off?

Yeah – photo on bottom of page 2 here : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wca-in-hospital

Wasn’t even bike related 🙁

iamroughrider
    Free Member

nothing wrong with pads if they help.

mangatank
    Free Member

WCS

I completely missed that thread. You actually snapped your foot off 🙁

I’m really sorry to hear about that. How’s the recovery going?

footflaps

Triathlons?

Triathletes are the most crash prone cyclists out there, like a normal cyclist with all observational and motor skills removed.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slowly…12 months on and still hurts. Docs decided not to amputate which is good so I guess I just need to MTFU a bit. A fair bit of restriction to movement so the good news is I won’t be appearing on Dancing on Ice any time soon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What WCA said, I picked up an SS-rigid-29er to make life difficult (and slow) after one too many crashes, then built up slowly from there, just need to figure out what made me like bikes in the first place, I ended up doing a 15 mile loop allong the local lanes, bridelways and footpaths including a beach, hike a bike up a cliff, clifftop section of the Cleveland way and the best fish and chips in the UK (Saltburn Pier). Wasn’t technical, but enough to be the kind of mini adventure that got me into cycling in the first place.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a 27.1er. They make the bowling green come alive.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Other half has silly offs most rides. She wears pads as a matter of course.

She also benefitted massively from a skills course.

(I’m aware you went on one – maybe try Ed’s Stop Crashing? 😉 )

AlexSimon

Lots of pads appearing on our group rides.
    Out of 20 riders roughly 5 sets of knees and 3 sets of elbows.

chip
    Free Member

It surprises me how many riders I see with quit substantial knee pads but with just a t shirt and bare elbows.

grum
    Free Member

I’m in that camp most of the time. I’ve never found any elbow pads that were comfy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Pack up and sell everything!’ is closed to new replies.