Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pack For Big/Multi Day Rides
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Afternoon All

Looking at buying a pack to use to carry all gear for big rides on the bike with potential for over night trips etc.

Suppose gear wise it’s waterproof, tools, food plus change of clothes for evening etc.

Looking at the following packs and wondered what others use or think of the below

Evoc CC16

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m11b0s456p30190/Evoc_CC_16L_Hydration_Backpack

A lovely pair of Ospreys

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/osprey-escapist-20-backpack/rp-prod89103

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/osprey-talon-22-backpack/rp-prod119124

Was hoping not to spend that kind of cash but struggling to find anything decent with much needed waist support at a lower proce range.

I am aware of frame bags but not interested at this time

Many Thanks

highlandman
    Free Member

Am very pleased with my osprey escapist 25; you could also look at something similar sized from Deuter. Osprey has a useful and bright rain cover, plus an optional shelf to divide out a lower section in the bottom of the main compartment, great for wet kit or for keeping your ‘safety’ gear. An excellent guide bag.

kcal

I know you’re not looking at frame bags, for multi-day trips recently I’ve very much gone down the route of a seatpost bag – though a dropper post might scupper that – in order to take heavy and bulky stuff off my back. Your back will thanks you for it.

Even a little frame – mini-frame – bag to carry tools, tubes, spares, seat bag for clothes, leaves a normal sac on your back for waterproofs and the like..

scandal42
    Free Member

Was looking at a smallish bag for the frame for tools, I do run a dropper and ride a carbon frame with odd tubing dimensions which makes bags difficult.

May try and get a mini triangle bag if it will have straps long enough to go round the wide carbon down and top tubes.

The Ospreys do look to be very well made and feature heavy.

DrP

Have a look at wild cat gear ocelot… Will likely meet your need…
    A backpack will kill your back after several hours/days!

DrP

kcal

Ocelot and the Revelate equivalent – Tangle – are a boon on anything more than a couple hours pootle really.

13thfloormonk

When I used a backpack for the Cape Wrath trail it was a Wingnut MPS pack, but they are very expensive (I think £135, although that might have been trade! 😯 ).

Even then I strapped my sleeping bag to the handlebars wrapped in a dry bag, reinforced with gaffer tape where the bungies criss-crossed. This was a cheap and effective way of taking 1kg off my back. Biggest saddle bag you can buy will also help.

The Wingnut pack was pretty good but lightweight packing and some fiddling were required to make it practical for what turned out to be a 16 day trip…

hairylegs
    Free Member

+1 for the Osprey Escapist. Agree with Highlandman that it’s a great guide bag. The Talon is a great sac too, but is more walking/climbing orientated and my helmet catches on the top of the sac.

I know that there’s a lot of great bikepacking gear out there, but a rucsac is often the simplier, more convenient choice unless you’ve got loads of (too much) kit to carry

winston
    Free Member

Depends how young you are – I did the C2C offroad in my early 20’s with a 30 litre rucksack but my 40 year old back wouldn’t cope with that now

OP – the Hydrapack Jolla is £40 at Merlin. I’ve got one and its massive, easily big enough for a 1 nighter though I only half fill mine and stick the rest in an Ocelot frame bag

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pack For Big/Multi Day Rides’ is closed to new replies.