Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pacific Islands
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

When I’m back in the Philippines for a while, I feel like mooching around some Pacific Islands for a bit, I’ll do some diving/snorkeling as well.

Not Thailand or the usual spots, I mean places out of the way, like Palau. Any recommendations? Papua New Guinea a bit too mental?

lunge

Not sure if it is out of the way enough but The Cook Islands are stunning. Rarotonga has some very good snorkelling along with great people and a touch of culture as well.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Cook Islands do look stunning. 🙂 choices choices choices

lunge

Fiji is bloody awesome as well but make sure you get away from the main cities and off the backpackers trail. Get into the smaller, more remote islands and you’ll have a hell of a time, stay on the main island and you will miss a large part of what makes the place great. Oh and eat as much curry as you can, there is a big Indian population in Fiji and the combined Polynesian/Indian food is really rather special.

maccyb
    Free Member

A few years back (OK, 10) I went to Fiji mostly to dive – there was some pretty good snorkelling at Beachcomber Island, though it’s very much on the holidaymaker trail. The diving at Taveuni Island was better though, and it was a bit more ‘authentic’ Fijian (if indeed that’s a real thing)

Having said that a few weeks ago I did the Kona manta ray night dive in Hawaii and it was bloody amazing, even if it was a mass participation event for divers and snorkellers.

ittaika
    Free Member

Vanuatu – simply amazing place

smogmonster

PNG is very mental. I worked there last year, it feels just that bit too dangerous, and that’s from someone who worked on Nigeria for 5 years. LOTS of stories of Aussies and Yank missionaries getting murdered as well whilst we there as they are trying to make PNG a tourist destination in addition to the very remote mining operations. I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole. Shame as some people are really great there, but many aren’t.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pacific Islands’ is closed to new replies.