Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pacific DVD – should I buy it?
  • hora
    Free Member

BoB = masterclass. Starts of mleh and grows/matures then mellows.

Pacific, watching the opening fighting sequences and I just found it gratuitous almost- as though they were trying to make a (over) point of how bad it was.

I also didn’t connect with the characters. 2 in and I stopped watching.

Should I perceivere and buy it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Now I know persevere has its roots in French, but c’mon!

hora
    Free Member

I know I was struggling with that word. In the end I just stuck it in there!

Jamie
    Free Member

If in doubt, ask Dr Googles.

Anyways. Band of Brothers and Pacific are 2 of those shows which EVERYONE says are awesome and they have a shit load of awards and plaudits from all sides.

…and yet I just could never get into them.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s not as good as BoB IMO but was certainly worth watching when it was on Sky, not sure I’d buy it on DVD though.

hora
    Free Member

Honestly, on BoB – watch past the few few episodes. German friend of mine had it in his collection, he cherished it and lent it to me (as I refused to watch a BBC production glorifying Americans rather than the Brits).

Some great moments.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I watched the whole series recently and was totally underwhelmed by it. I’ve watched my BOB set many times but I won’t be watching Pacific again. I just couldn’t identify with any of the characters and there was far too much domestic stuff going on, I even felt that some of the CGI wasn’t very good.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

The Pacific is full of violence because the war in the pacific was full of violence. Taking nothing away from those who fought in Europe (my grandad was one of them), the conditions and the enemy in the pacific where a whole different level. Absolutley brutal and captured well by the series I think.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve watched my BOB set many times

Funny how you think ‘fancy watching an episode again’ then as you are rolling through the episodes the missus walks in and says ‘oh FFS, NOT AGAIN’.

…Or its on TV and the missus says ‘you’ve got that on DVD FFS’

😆

Lifer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t watch it again, thought it was good but lacked the continuity of following the same squad through the war (BoB).

mogrim

Loved BoB, gave up on Pacific about half way through. So IMO, no.

hora
    Free Member

Best scene? Episode 7: The Breaking Point. Lt Dike screws up and Winters takes over.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Best scene? Episode 7: The Breaking Point. Lt Dike screws up and Winters takes over.

Can’t have been that good, you’ve got it wrong! 😀

Drac

BoB is brilliant. The Pacific is dull and as others have said no characters to relate to.

hora
    Free Member

Do’h. I mean Speirs! Ps. The books excellent as well isn’t it?

Blower
    Free Member

tree-magnet – Member

The Pacific is full of violence because the war in the pacific was full of violence. Taking nothing away from those who fought in Europe (my grandad was one of them), the conditions and the enemy in the pacific where a whole different level. Absolutley brutal and captured well by the series I think.

+1

avdave2

tree-magnet +2

The biggest difference in the Pacific was that there was no getting away from the jungle itself which for many of the troops in that theatre was a far harder thing to deal with than the actual fighting. Those conditions were unrelenting 24 hours a day, day after day, week after week, month after month. There were no towns or villages to fall back too for troops to rest, they just sat it out in one patch of jungle or another.

As for the original question it is worth watching although I too preferred BOB

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You need advice on buying a DVD?

Do you struggle with other decisions you are called upon to make, like when to visit the toilet and stuff?

I bet you mess yourself on a regular basis, don’t you?

🙄

———————

Where’s my £140?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pacific DVD – should I buy it?’ is closed to new replies.