Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pace Rc506….or a.n.other 6" frame?
  • PolisherMan

Been chatting to Mr Carter up a Dalby and it looks like it ticks all the right boxes for me. Firstly I break frames, with a taste for Hecklers. I can’t afford to go silly money and I have just bought new forks Mazocchi 44’s 150mm non tapered, so whatever I get HAS to fit them! It looks tough (6066 alloy) means nowt to me. And Adrian claims the 506 has never been snapped………….
    It looks slack, but climbs well (I like climbing) and although reviews say there are better descenders I’m sure it will be fine.

Few niggles.. High ish BB, reliability of the DT shock, Pace warranty?

Any other thoughts for frames for similar money? Would like a 5 (yeah I know!) but really can’t stretch to that.

PS I also seem to attract chain suck, so require something with big clearances, will be running 24/36.

PolisherMan

No one on STW with an opinion? But it’s a Pace, people always have opinions about Pace…. 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Few niggles.. High ish BB, reliability of the DT shock, Pace warranty?

You’ve done all the hard work for us… I would look elswhere for these three reasons.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m going to do the usual and recommend my own bike… so how about this? I considered the RC506, amongst others, but went for the EG and I am exceptionally pleased with it:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV2/titus_el_guapo_frame_and_monarch_shock

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-titus-el-guapo-frame-10-36835

It built up to exactly 31 lb with a ‘modest’ build. I think the quoted head angle is with 150mm forks, I have Talas RC2 160’s so I think its a little slacker with these, although I’m not 100% on that

retro83
    Free Member

Get a test ride if you can, I had an RC405 and hated it. Put me off riding for about 2 years it pissed me off so much.
    Looking back on it, the fact that it got such strong reviews which mentioned none of the issues makes me think that either mine was a lemon (not good on a £1,250 frame) or the journos are mates with Adrian.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Titus El guapo?

they get good reviews, and seem to be well built.

they do look a bit odd in photo’s, but they look great when you get up close.

honourablegeorge

If you tend to snap frames, then a low volume manufacturer with shaky warranty is hardly where you want to be.

And I don’t see the point of a longer travel bike with a high BB that’s a weak descender.

Get yourself a Covert.

PolisherMan

Yeah looked at the EG, it has the opposite, a low BB. Wonder how it would be in the rocky Pennines with “only” a 150mm fork? Would it be ok with a 1 1/8″ steerer. I have sort of lost track of all the different headset options……….

messiah
    Free Member

Here is what I would buy if I had your budget today…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-devinci-dixon-2011-medium-frame-and-whatnot

(assuming your a medium like me and it would fit) 🙄

wilko1999
    Free Member

The BB is low, there’s no denying it. With 160mm forks it is manageable, you adjust your climbing style slightly and just have to plan ahead a little more. I’m used to it so don’t really notice it now

I am using a 1.1/8″ steerer, its fine. Either an onone smoothie mixer headset, or hope do a mix ‘n’ match which I am using, standard 1.1/8 top, and 1.5 to 1.1/8 reducer on the bottom

Paceman
    Free Member

Had an RC405 for 3 years and loved it, no issues at all with the DT Shock or the frame / linkages etc (the bearings are very UK winter proof). Take one out for a demo ride if I were you.

vondally
    Free Member

Titus eg had the supermoto and it was great in the north of england, great climber descender crap paint was the worst thing so I would think the EG would be similiar or better as lighter frame. Of the 6 inch travel bikes i have had in NW england I would suggest

Yeti asr 7…..low bb weighs 33lbs climbs better than my turner flux did and is very capable.

Heckler good and would suit a 150mm fork

Blur lt 2 hated it too short and suspension did not suit me at all

Turner 5 spot HL and RFX great for NWengland RFX a bit overkill and not the great climber bith recommended

Maverick ml8, or 7.5 the 7.5 was a bit long but good ML8 a unsung and overlooked bike, ML8 again is machine that will climb not an ultra dh machine but will get you there very quickly.

Giant trance older one with pikes….apart from being a bit gate like this was one of the best frames and fork combo that i have ridden, tough and fun recommended.

Again rear travel is a mixed bag the 100mm trance rode and felt better than the blur lt2 the quality of the Yeti 7 was improved by a coil shock so you may want to consider 130/140 travel frames in the mix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pace Rc506….or a.n.other 6" frame?’ is closed to new replies.