Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pace RC41 DIY Servicing
  • uplink
    Free Member

After a particularly shitty/wet ride this weekend my RC41 Fighters are locked up so I was thinking of stripping them etc. myself

Anyone done this?
    The online instructions don't look too bad
    Anything to look out for?

DIY? or send them off to Fork English/Pace?

fraseruk
    Free Member

I recently did a quick service on my RC39s for the first time and found it pretty simple following the instructions in the manual. Wish I'd done it sooner because they are back to being really plush. I never bothered replacing the seals and o-rings or opening the air spring chamber which I guess you might get with a factory service but it made a big difference.

I don't know the RC41 but I guess they're similar. Only real problem I had was needing circlip pliers, but they are cheap to buy. Oh and don't overfill the damper oil; I lost about an inch of travel until I took some oil back out.

Houns

Easy to do, but i must admit i struggled with a seal change

uplink
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    Work commitments now mean they need to go away if I'm to get them done any time soon so they're now winging their way to Fork English

ransos
    Free Member

I had the same thing – a really wet/ muddy ride at Afan caused my RC41 XCAMs to seize. First time they've ever done it in 3 years of ownership.

The threads at the bottom are tapered, so will need a tap with a hammer to release the sliders. Use a rubber mallet or you'll wreck the thread.

I found re-fitting the sliders a complete pain, as the seals kept getting caught, and folding over themselves as I pushed the slider back on. About an hour of repeated trying and swearing seemed to do the trick.

Cleaning them thoroughly and lubricating the foam seal with fork oil has them working as good as new.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pace RC41 DIY Servicing’ is closed to new replies.