Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pace RC405 or Lapierre Zesty
  • cheers_drive

I’ve got the itch to replace my Commencal Meta 5; I’ve had it 2 years now and it’s a fantastic bike but I’ve started glancing at other bikes that are a bit lighter. In particular the Pace and Lapierre, has anyone ridden both to compare?
    I’ve had a short ride on the Lapierre but it was far too small to get any feeling for it. And before someone says I need to demo them – I would if I could demo a bike in L or XL but nearly all demo bikes a M and far too small for me.
    Mainly for use on trail centres / quantocks and the odd 12/24 hour race.

PaulMc
    Free Member

I tried both and hated the Pace. I found it climbed well, it would ride up rock steps that my single pivot Marin would never have cleared, but I found it big and sluggish. It was a size too big and the tyres may have been to blame but it just didn’t have any ‘zip’. The back end was all over the place on flat-out rocky descents but maybe I had the shock pressure too high.

Crosstrax in Leeds ordered in a brand new Zesty in my size for a demo at the end of last season and allowed me to take it away for a week. There is just no comparison. With minimal set up it climbs brilliantly and is amazingly fast and fun on the descents. It is also quite a bit lighter. I bought it after 2 rides. I would be happy riding it at a 24 hour event but will keep my hardtail for the inevitable mudbath.

Paceman
    Free Member

The RC405 has more “zip” than anything i’ve ever ridden. The only bikes i’ve ever ridden that come close are the Orange 5 and an XC light Yeti 575. I bought a 405 in the end in a size medium which fits me fine at 5’10”. It has a relatively short top tube which suits me as I like the quick chuckability this creates. This bike seriously gives you more when you put the power down. PaulMc, it sounds to me like you got the wrong size and set-up for what you were looking for, as there’s no way you could describe a 405 as sluggish.

I’ve not ridden the Zesty but it sounds excellent too from reviewers comments.

FuzzyWuzzy

@cheers_drive – Strada Cycles has a large 514 for demo (and a medium 314)

jimthesaint

If your the sort of person who likes to buy local then ironically the Lapierre may be made closer to home than the Pace.

Baldysquirt

I agree with Paceman – I found the 405 had almost too much zip when I test rode it. Although the “too much” bit I put down to comically narrow tyres it had on it for test riding in the Peak. With the right kit, I reckon it would be a great all round trail bike.

grumm
    Free Member

At the risk of being an annoying **** – aren’t these bikes a little bit of overkill for trail centres/the quantocks? If you want something lighter why not look at something a little less ‘all-mountain’ and more ‘xc’, especially if you are going to be racing.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not really IMO – I have an 80/90mm XC FS and a long-forked hardtail, my next bike will prob be a Zesty 514 (140mm) and it will mainly be used at trail centres. Do you need 140mm for a trail centre? Nope but then you don’t *need* any suspension. Would I enjoy it more on a 140mm FS bike? I think I would (although will obviously demo in advance to confirm).

grumm
    Free Member

Never said anything about ‘need’ cos i think that’s silly talk – just saying based on the type of riding stated a slightly less burly bike might be more suited.

FuzzyWuzzy

Well overkill implies over what’s needed, 140mm bikes aren’t 30+lb tanks anymore either 😉

grumm
    Free Member

If you worked in a bike shop, and someone came in and said ‘I ride mostly trail centres and the Quantocks, and want to do some 24 hour races’ – would you really point them towards the 140mm all mountain bikes?

cheers_drive

Ok so maybe I don’t need 140mm of travel (the Meta 5 is definately overkill) and I sometimes use the PA at trails centres when I fancy a change but I looked at 120mm travel bikes and there really is little weight saving. I’m also pretty hard on bikes – 14.5 stone and some lazy lines – so would be worried about breaking somethink like a Spark or Anthem X. The Pace and Lapierre seam like good compromises. Looking at what some people ride and how they ride them at trail centres I would say I’m not the over biked one.

Anyway before this goes into a I ride a CX at trail centres with flat pedals and fixie type diversion I’ll give Strada a ring, now to find a L RC405…

cymohndee
    Free Member

Havent riden a Lappiere, but i’m often found tapping on my keyboard banging the drum for Pace. Really happy with my RC405. Rarely feel underbiked (new gen bolt thru fork would cure that), never feel overbiked. I did test a load of bikes before making my choice last year, stumpy, blur lt, cove, intense 5.5, enduro, none felt as involving as the Pace, although the Lappiere has a good reputation, but come on, its French!

grumm
    Free Member

Fair do’s – I honestly wasnt trying to start a silly willy-waving ‘I could ride that on a penny farthing’ style debate. I ride a Pitch anyway. 😉

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Further food for thought from a happy RC405 owner..

I tested a variety of bikes before I plumped for the Pace. I realised that I wanted a bike that despite being overkill for the trails I’m riding now, was going to encourage me to ride obstacles that were currently beyond me. A bike to grow into, if you like. The Pace just wants to hoon down/up/over/off everything, despite its owner being more reluctant..

I know a lapierre zesty owner and she is very delighted. They are both great bikes. For me the history behind Pace and the UK-ness of the brand means something. (Yes, I realise its not made in britain etc etc). As much as folks deny it, what the brand stands for does play a part in the buying decision when you get up to this price level.

Enjoy the testing 😀

TM

cheers_drive

I’m actually favouring the pace anyway – my main riding buddy has a Zesty (to small for me to test) and we wouldn’t want matching bikes would we. The lack of frame only is a problem too because the I doubt selling all the parts of the Zesty would bring the price down to the Pace.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pace RC405 or Lapierre Zesty’ is closed to new replies.