Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • P7 Seat Post Slipping
  • FieldMarshall

Have been running the stock Orange seat clamp for last 2 years on my ’07 P7 without problem.

However, I have recently developed an issue with the seatpost slipping.

Tried tightening the clamp but not any better.

Swapped to a brand new Orange seat clamp tonight (off a new Five frame) and whilst better the post still slipped down.

Do I need a new shim, as the P7 is shimmed to 27.2?

Or what else can I try.

More expensive aftermarket clamp?

Cheers

enfht
    Free Member

This fixed my slipping P7 seatpost

Hope QR

gary1340
    Free Member

I’ve got the same problem. What size QR did you use?

enfht
    Free Member

rolymo
    Free Member

you’ve probably already done this – but make sure the split part of the shim is in line with the slot on the seat tube.

FieldMarshall

Yes, first thing I did was take the shim mount, clean it up and make sure it was in line with the frame slot.

Looks like a new Hope QR then. In fact 2 as will no doubt need one in for the Five aswell.

Cheers

SiB
    Free Member

Although not too happy with lbs remedy as its a new(ish) P7 it does seem to stop the seat post slipping for a couple of weeks before reapplying needed……….carbon grease.

ciron
    Free Member

My P7 is from 2005 and I had the same problem. I called Orange and they sent a new shim, free of charge, which sorted it.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Had the same problem, shim was wider than actual seat post at the top so clamp wouldn’t tighten enough. I filed mine down so the shim was same size as top of seat tube. Also I don’t move my saddle much so intend on fitting a Hope non-QR clamp at some point.

FieldMarshall

Ciron – cheers for heads up on the shim replacement.

Have contacted Orange and they are sending me a new silver shim.

Apparently there is a known problem with some of the black anodized ones.

enfht
    Free Member

It’s not just the black shims that have this problem, my silver shim was also slipping until I fitted the Hope clamp.

FieldMarshall

To be honest, I’m not convinced shim is the complete problem, as I’ve have used it for 2.5 years without issue.

I expect the clamp has weakened with age/use. (Although that doesn’t explain why the new Orange clamp that I have still doesn’t entirely elliminate the slip – although it is better)

However, I thought that I would try the free fix first and then if necessary by a better clamp.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘P7 Seat Post Slipping’ is closed to new replies.